Secret historic stairs uncovered

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
History Hunter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa

Secret historic stairs uncovered

Post by History Hunter »

A secret stairway has been discovered at a Shropshire attraction after being buried for about 150 years. Click Here

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Secret historic stairs uncovered

Post by Donnydave »

Another reason to be careful while out detecting you just don,t know what you could step into other than sheep shxxe :g58:

m300572

Post by m300572 »

Reminds me of a building I had dealings with a few years back - the owner wanted to reduce the thickness of the end wall (which was about five feet thick and had several phases of fireplace, from an inglenook to a 1950's small one) and we discovered a spiral staircase in the thickness of the wall in one corner.

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

m300572 wrote:Reminds me of a building I had dealings with a few years back - the owner wanted to reduce the thickness of the end wall (which was about five feet thick and had several phases of fireplace, from an inglenook to a 1950's small one) and we discovered a spiral staircase in the thickness of the wall in one corner.
Thats interesting was it going up or down into the ground?

Mr Jones

Post by Mr Jones »

That place is quite local to me, I saw a programme about the real Holy Grail Hawkstone park was one of the suggested resting places for it. A chap that was on the programme tracked down a decendent of the person who was at the heart of the claim and in her attic was a small plain stoneware vessel an archaeologist specializing in roman pottery confirmed it was of that same period.

m300572

Post by m300572 »

Donnydave wrote:
m300572 wrote:Reminds me of a building I had dealings with a few years back - the owner wanted to reduce the thickness of the end wall (which was about five feet thick and had several phases of fireplace, from an inglenook to a 1950's small one) and we discovered a spiral staircase in the thickness of the wall in one corner.
Thats interesting was it going up or down into the ground?
Going up from the side of te inglenook to the first floor. Fascinating building as the outside face of the gable had the shadow of a blocked doorway at he point where the stair was inside the wall, so it must have been there before the stair, and the bottom two steps of the spiral had been cut away to make the ingle wide enough.

we persuaded the owner (by going over the head of the estate's managing agent) to keep the stair in place, the builder put a floor across it at first floor level and converted the top six feet into a wardrobe! and we moved one of the new partition walls a couple of feeet and put in an extra rooflight so that the new bathroom still fitted in and had light.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”