First find a hoard...........

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
Corinne Mills
meble kuchenne warszawa

First find a hoard...........

Post by Corinne Mills »

From the Portable Antiquities blog

A very large and important find of a hoard of Roman coins was recently discovered by a novice metal detector user in the Shrewsbury area. This is probably one of the largest coin hoards ever discovered in Shropshire. The finder, Mr Nic. Davies, bought his first metal detector a month ago and this is his first find made with it. The hoard was discovered close to a public bridleway on land that Mr Davies did not have permission to detect on. All land is owned by someone and it is important that permission to search is obtained in advance. The coins were placed in a very large storage jar which had been buried in the ground around 1700 years ago. They had lain undisturbed since then waiting for someone to find them again

more here
Click Here

Photos from the PAS Flickr feed http://www.flickr.com/photos/finds/

Peter Reavill , Finds Liaison Officer for the Portable Antiquities Scheme based with Shropshire Council Museum Service with the hoard

beachcombermike
Registered User + UKDN Magazine Contributer
Main Detector: shadow x5

Re: First find a hoard...........

Post by beachcombermike »

who's a naughty boy then. mike. :stern:

shadow_crusader

Post by shadow_crusader »

Woo what a find.... But with out primission dose that mean he has to hand the find over to local museum or duse he get away with it :g43:

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

Bad boy but we have all done it when starting out I did,nt even realise you had to ask for permission when I started in 1978, so I think they should be lenient with him :g50:but there is really no excuse these days it is well publicised :g58:

Kuffy

Post by Kuffy »

I, like the rest on here, can appreciate the significance of the find,, but it was found by a trespasser on private land, who had no right to be there!!! Now if he had had his detector for a month, then he would of known the law,, so why is he in the photos smiling about his achievement,,this throws open a very big gate to detectorists everywhere, who are maybe thinking,,, Should I??? or Should'nt I???.., obviously if you do???? and find a big hoard??? as long as you do the right thing,,,???? ..."AFTERWARDS!!!!!" then thats ok.. ,.......Huh!... just my thoughts, and opinion....Kuffy

tomredmayne
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Déus

Post by tomredmayne »

The guy in the picture is the local FLO not the finder..... :g50:

Self-recording with the PAS, it's worth the effort.........MY RECORDS

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

Kuffy wrote:I, like the rest on here, can appreciate the significance of the find,, but it was found by a trespasser on private land, who had no right to be there!!! Now if he had had his detector for a month, then he would of known the law,, so why is he in the photos smiling about his achievement,,this throws open a very big gate to detectorists everywhere, who are maybe thinking,,, Should I??? or Should'nt I???.., obviously if you do???? and find a big hoard??? as long as you do the right thing,,,???? ..."AFTERWARDS!!!!!" then thats ok.. ,.......Huh!... just my thoughts, and opinion....Kuffy
Is that the the finder kuffy or the FLO :g43: Its not really clear , but it says FLO above the pic :g43: And I don,t think he will get a full award, just a token for being honest afterwards, one of our better known ex-forum members did the same thing then forever complained he did not get paid out properly :g58:

Corinne Mills

Post by Corinne Mills »

The photos are of the FLO not the finder lads

damnyankeeuk

Post by damnyankeeuk »

A token reward (£25 springs to mind) for turning it in instead of trying to flog them on Ebay..then a right bollicking for bringing the hobby into disrepute!

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

At least it was turned in, it could have "just vanished" after all. A month in the hobby with possibly no contact with anyone else, if thats the case, then the benefit of the doubt "could" be applied. No excuse at the end of the day, but the right thing was done in the end.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Man walks into Maplins, on the spur of the moment decides to buy a detector. Lives near a field and, like a kid with a new toy, can`t wait to try it out. Off he goes and finds that..........
He panics THEN DOES THE RIGHT THING by turning the find into the museum. He is probably now very wise as to law etc and will cry himself to sleep for not having done it all properly,punishment enough me thinks!

Sorry I can`t knock him for anything he has done unlike some.

Mal Asterley
UKDN Valued Supporter and Word Magazine Contributor
UKDN Valued Supporter and Word Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: Arado 120B

Post by Mal Asterley »

I understand what he did ! and if he isnt a member of any Metal Detecting Forum and has never bought any MD magazines he very probably didnt know the rules so you shouldnt be so fast to condem him !!!! , some 28 years ago when I had only detected for a very short time 3 of us went onto a field near a little river (the farmhouse was derelict) and I found my first Roman coin and I didnt then know the rules !!! , I wont say who the other 2 were because they were as green as me .

Mal .
Some Men were born great , some Men worked to be great , with me it was just natural !!

Cscope cs4pi. Fuji FinePix S2750HD . Fuji Finepix JX 530 Nikon coolpix ,Nikon D3000

Strollingby
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by Strollingby »

Well done to him for doing the right thing by reporting the find. I am sure by now he has learnt a valuable lesson about seeking permision to detect.

firesmudge
Registered User + UKDN Magazine Contributer

Post by firesmudge »

JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY JAMMY git!
YOU GOTTA WALK OVER IT TO FIND IT!!!!

leothelion
Main Detector: T2

Post by leothelion »

:g38: another secret unearthed :g38:
TOUCHING HISTORY

Return to “LATEST NEWS”