Silver Button/Medallion??

Doodle
meble kuchenne warszawa

Silver Button/Medallion??

Post by Doodle »

A friend found this button when he was 8 years old (40 years ago!) in his grandmother's garden I think in Westbury, Shropshire but has had no joy identifying it. It appears to be silver with a number of 'hallmarks' on - as you look at the button (top centre) the stamp has a shield in it. On left hand side the stamp has a reverse 'C' motif in it. Bottom left stamp has '930' in it, under that another stamp with 'LL' in it - then a hallmark with a lion; R ; F; and what appears to be a cats head sheild. The stamp in the right hand lower quarter, above the previous stamp mentioned, appears maybe to be a sheild with a crown above it. The background has a large sailing ship, also what looks like an arab dhow, and maybe hills / a coastline with a church on it. Do you have any ideas please?
Attachments
Gavyn pics 003 reduced 2.JPG
Gavyn pics 003 reduced 2.JPG (447.8 KiB) Viewed 7185 times
gavyn 05 reduced.JPG
gavyn 05 reduced.JPG (523.84 KiB) Viewed 7185 times

coreservers
Technical Administrator and UKDN Supporter
Technical Administrator and UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: Equinox 800

Re: Silver Button/Medallion??

Post by coreservers »

not sure but odd it would be hallmarked on the design. and not on the back
Minelab Equinox 800
How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a lightbulb? None, Bill Gates just makes darkness the industry standard

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Possibly associated with Admiral Vernon, who defeated a Spanish fleet at Portobello, with only six ships.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

LUDO

Post by LUDO »

I think it was made in London 1892 going on the marks. sorry I cannot help you with more information.

btns
UKDN Supporter

Post by btns »

Silver buttons with original designs were very fashionable in the 1890s. When invited for tea, you had to bring at least one new one.
Traders sourced old silver buttons from all over Europe. The assay office would restamp them, but many had the hallmarks of their country of origin.

There is a book on them:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/jane-perry/a-c ... 14095.html

Yours is most likely Dutch. It may date from the 18th or early 19th century. It may even be a 'special' item, produced to meet the demand. Dutch silver hallmarks are usually on the back.

Doodle

Post by Doodle »

Thank you very much for the interesting information - I will pass it on to our friend.

Return to “Buttons”