XP ADX 250

klinsman
meble kuchenne warszawa

XP ADX 250

Post by klinsman »

Hi, Has anyone else recently purchased a XP ADX 250 ? I'm a beginner, and have been out on a handful of occasions.
At present, I only have access to pasture, none of which has been ploughed for years.
Couple of problems -

1. I'm struggling to detect any difference in the signal given off by ferrous and non ferrous. I've tried laying out several items on a sheet, with different settings, but still struggle to note any difference.

2. I should be able to reject iron, but keep digging it up.

Any ideas.

Thanks Klinsman

the barnacle
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
Main Detector: Deus

Re: XP ADX 250

Post by the barnacle »

its not a machine i have used but do use xp, is it just big iron you are digging as i find i dig most large iron with my goldmax.

klinsman

Post by klinsman »

the barnacle wrote:its not a machine i have used but do use xp, is it just big iron you are digging as i find i dig most large iron with my goldmax.
not necessarily, so far its been anything from nails to cart horse shoes

brothereidos

Post by brothereidos »

Had one until recently when i had to sell it for financial reasons. Used to either have it set to D1 with the dial turned all the way round or on D2 with the dial turned to the F in the word Foil and the sensitivity always set at about 2 o'clock. With only one tone you are listening to what the tone sounds like. A good signal is nice and smooth whilst the iffy ones are stunted either at the beginning or the end (If that makes sense). Large iron tends to give a good signal but as you dig it becomes iffier. Also good signals tend to sound good in all directions where as iffy ones may sound good left to right but iffy forwards and backwards etc.

Hope this helps

Dean

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

The 250 is a good machine, iron tends to give a cliped end to a signal. Its been a year or two since I used my 250, but set the disc to "I" in the word Iron. Set the flip switch to the middle between all metal and the third postion. Run over a target get a good signal then check it by switching to the third position, if you loss the signal its a good chance its iron. But with XP's you need to dig everything to start to work out what the machine is telling you.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

brothereidos

Post by brothereidos »

Cheers Puffin Just spent 10 minutes trying to work out what word to use for the iffier signals and couldn't think of it and it's the word "Clipped" perfectly describes what i was trying to say.

Dean

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

Yes Clipped is the perfect word. I keep my machine as my back up, I play with it every now and then, but because I don't use it that often I forget how the tone can change. Its one of those machines that requires a tuned in ear. I took a couple of three months to get my ear tuned and found some really nice stuff with it, including some interesting hammered and a small fragment of a silver bodkin, now a disclaimed treasure item.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

klinsman

Post by klinsman »

brothereidos wrote:Had one until recently when i had to sell it for financial reasons. Used to either have it set to D1 with the dial turned all the way round or on D2 with the dial turned to the F in the word Foil and the sensitivity always set at about 2 o'clock. With only one tone you are listening to what the tone sounds like. A good signal is nice and smooth whilst the iffy ones are stunted either at the beginning or the end (If that makes sense). Large iron tends to give a good signal but as you dig it becomes iffier. Also good signals tend to sound good in all directions where as iffy ones may sound good left to right but iffy forwards and backwards etc.

Hope this helps

Dean
Dean, it makes prefect sense, thanks

klinsman

Post by klinsman »

Puffin wrote:The 250 is a good machine, iron tends to give a cliped end to a signal. Its been a year or two since I used my 250, but set the disc to "I" in the word Iron. Set the flip switch to the middle between all metal and the third postion. Run over a target get a good signal then check it by switching to the third position, if you loss the signal its a good chance its iron. But with XP's you need to dig everything to start to work out what the machine is telling you.
Thanks Puffin, your final comment has set my mind at rest.

brothereidos

Post by brothereidos »

One thing i forgot to mention, upgrading to a decent set of headphones makes a big difference in being able to "Hear" the tones.

Dean

Return to “Detectors & Tips”