tips on keeping records

guildy
Registered User + UKDN Magazine Contributer
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus and GMP

tips on keeping records

Post by guildy »

I have got a gps and use it when detecting if I find any thing that is interesting I make a way point put it in a numbered bag when I get home I transfer it over to google earth and describe the find as best I can but I need some tips on how to keep records as I have found a lot of things like george 111 half pennys and now dont know which one came from were and when.
Hammerds 2012 =24

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Re: tips on keeping records

Post by Puffin »

As well as GE and GPS for recording, I keep a note book. Each time I go out I start a new page, once I get home, date it, write down a list of the days finds, in find order using the waypoint numbers, I then add OSNGN, description, and or brief sketch an a coded number all written next to the find in the book. Its worth buying a decent good quality note book as this is your bible and permanent record.

I also issue a coded number for each item found. Example:- W14-555 The first part is the first letter of the parish, "W=Walsall" the first number 14=Field number 14. A map of your farmers fields numbered helps here. Then the last number is the find number each new find just gets the next number along.

This code number is then used to id the find and is written on the storage bag, box or card coin holder. Because you have written this number next to your find in the note book it is easier to find your note about it. This code number can be also used in GE to ID the find spot with description on screen by clicking on it.

I basically have a digital copy, Google Earth, and a hard copy, note book, as back up. Easier to carry around to FLO visits etc.

The bags I use in the field, I just take the waypoint number from the GPS, write this on the bag with a date. Sometimes it can take a few weeks to catch up with recording. I use a sharpie permanent marker pen while out detecting.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

hooverman

Post by hooverman »

For storing my records I use a software called DJVU (Deja-Vu).

It's a little bit complicated using this system but the benefits are; less disc space used than word or pdf docs and it stores them in a 'book' that enables you to whizz through the pages.

I have a blank word doc with 10 double boxes, a photo of the object goes in one side and a description etc goes in the other.

I convert this to pdf using an online converter then at the end of every year I merge the pdf files and use another converter for DJVU.

I also use the system for identification software that I'm developing (Roman coins). I like the presentation style and its ease of use. PDF and Word docs you have to scroll through and whilst you can add an index to PDF DJVU is a lot quicker.

I've posted the first page of RIC V as I'm doing it on DJVU.
Attachments
Picture 235.jpg
Picture 235.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 15199 times

jeanette08
Main Detector: Minelab SE

Post by jeanette08 »

i think i need to get something like what you have to keep my finds in order :g50:
11 hammered 2015

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

Hooverman thats a really nice idea. :g50: I've been experimenting with exporting my .kml data from Google Earth into excel as a sortable spread sheet, still a long way off, but the possability of importing into a MS Access database is there. .kml is just a form of the Excel file formate and is easy to convert.

I've looked at the few pc metal detecting database software packages that are around, not 100% happy with them as they don't suit my needs. That is not to say that they would work for anyone else.

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

I bag the find with the 10 fig find spot, date, weight and dims on the bag and hand it to the PAS, they give me a paper record and there is an electronic record on their secure database.

I download the GPS data on to Google Earth for my own record and research purposes.
Attachments
PAS Record.jpg
PAS Record.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 15154 times
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

hooverman

Post by hooverman »

PhilD wrote:I bag the find with the 10 fig find spot, date, weight and dims on the bag and hand it to the PAS, they give me a paper record and there is an electronic record on their secure database.

I download the GPS data on to Google Earth for my own record and research purposes.
....The perfect system..... the only problem is if your anywhere near prolific with your finds PAS will not accept them due to the volume.

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

I didn't know that Hooverman, needs addressing, the system works well for most people though I think.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

hooverman wrote:
PhilD wrote:I bag the find with the 10 fig find spot, date, weight and dims on the bag and hand it to the PAS, they give me a paper record and there is an electronic record on their secure database.

....The perfect system..... the only problem is if your anywhere near prolific with your finds PAS will not accept them due to the volume.
Yes, volume is a problem particular when the FLO is visiting a club.

To save time, because there is always a long que, I bag each find with the following details written on the bag.

Find date
Parish name
Field number (Which matches the club map, which the FLO has a copy of. Or a photocopy of a map of your own fields.)
OS 10 figure grid ref.
Brief description/object name
My waypoint number and code number, which relates to my note book and GE record
And important: Name, address, phone number, email address on a printed sticker.

That way only a brief referance need be written on the forms, so long as the FLO can ID the item later on, as yours.

When the item has been returned I also write the PAS reference on the bag.
Our FLO also gives us a printed copy of the closed to public viewing PAS record, this is filed in a ring binder with the public version.

My recorded finds are then kept in an extra safe environment as they now have a recorded value and you have become the custodian of something that has survived for god knows how long. Someone, one day may wish to use them for future research.

Azules
Main Detector: Garrett ace 250

Post by Azules »

guildy wrote:I have got a gps and use it when detecting if I find any thing that is interesting I make a way point put it in a numbered bag when I get home I transfer it over to google earth and describe the find as best I can but I need some tips on how to keep records as I have found a lot of things like george 111 half pennys and now dont know which one came from were and when.
How do you go about adding it to google earth
and is it possile to view finds on google earth
is this just normal google maps we are talking here
or is it a program you need to download

Eric

Puffin

Post by Puffin »

If ytou have not got that far yet, have a scan of this part of the forum, http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk/php ... .php?f=192

Chalkers

Post by Chalkers »

I record my finds with the local FLO, so they are bagged up with all the relevant details, for my own records I photograph the good stuff and use a polaroid pogo printer to quickly print off an image for my own notebook, next to which I write all the details meaning I should be able to refer back to the images to see which coin came from where. The advantage of the pogo printer is not only was it cheap, about £25, but the prints are credit card sized and self adhesive so keeping the notebook is easy, it prints direct from the camera too with pictbridge or blutooth. The print quality isn't bad but not amazing either but for the sake of a reference i think it's perfect.

Azules
Main Detector: Garrett ace 250

Post by Azules »

Puffin wrote:If ytou have not got that far yet, have a scan of this part of the forum, http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk/php ... .php?f=192
Ahh your a marvel you Puffin

Thanks

Return to “GPS”