PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Re: Cheap GPS of sorts

Post by PhilD »

Pleased you're getting an accurate reading Dave.

Out of interest if you long click on the little house to save the location, does it save it with the correct co ordinates?

Mine doesn't so I'm wondering if mine is faulty.

Thanks.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

PhilD wrote:Pleased you're getting an accurate reading Dave.

Out of interest if you long click on the little house to save the location, does it save it with the correct co ordinates?

Thanks.
Sorry Phil I don,t seem to be able to figure out how it works I can get my co-ordinates but I am struggling figuring out those symbols and how to use them :g64: I,ve tried long clicking on it but can not see any co-ordinates :g43:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

To see the co ordinates you need to long click both buttons together to go to the main menu then long click the top option, this will show the 5 saving options.

Then long click on the house and it will show the Westing co ordinates.

Unfortunately to see the Northing one's you have to long click through each of the Westing ones to get to the page.

Thanks for your help, they need to be played about with a while to figure them out.
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

PhilD wrote:Pleased you're getting an accurate reading Dave.

Thanks.
The Northing was close but the Westings was miles out

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Same as mine Dave, must be a problem with the devices, the blurb leads you to believe you can save a lat/long spot accurately or even type one in and go there which is not the case unless I am missing something? Still the find spot reading is ok.

Thanks for checking it out :g50:

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

PhilD wrote:It says up to 18 hours Dave in the pdf.

I suppose it depends how you use it. I would imagine if you switch it off between finds they will last a very long time, this is how I use my GPS;

When you first boot it up on a new site it does what they call a cold start (42 seconds), during this time I re fill the hole and detect a circular area around the hole to see if anything else was lost with the same find. I then switch it off until needed again.

The reading it gives can be written down & then typed directly into Google Earth to show the find spot.

If you go to the Nearby Website http://www.nearby.org.uk/coord.cgi , click on lat/long & type the co ordinates into the box & click on convert it will convert them to NGR.

I would imagine the FLO would accept a decimal lat/long reading & do the conversion for you but haven't tried myself.
i tried that link to convert Lat/long but it did not seem to recognise my North and West numbers?

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

When you click on the above Nearby link Dave, just above the box where you type in, click on the words Latitude/longtitude, this open a page where you can enter the numbers for North & West, this is where I type my details in.

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

PhilD wrote:When you click on the above Nearby link Dave, just above the box where you type in, click on the words Latitude/longtitude, this open a page where you can enter the numbers for North & West, this is where I type my details in.
That is brilliant it converted it to a 10 figure SE number :g50: Thanks Phil.

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Cheers Dave, glad it's working for you :g50:

I took my Garmin and the Director to the Club outing yesterday and took a reading of them both side by side at the junction of two lanes, gave them both a good warm up time and was amazed how accurate the Director was in comparison. Will try some more tests when I can get out again.

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

PhilD wrote:Cheers Dave, glad it's working for you :g50:

I took my Garmin and the Director to the Club outing yesterday and took a reading of them both side by side at the junction of two lanes, gave them both a good warm up time and was amazed how accurate the Director was in comparison. Will try some more tests when I can get out again.
Yes my director is spot I noted where abouts I was on the field and the director is amazing with its accuracy :g50:

Jorvik Andi

Post by Jorvik Andi »

Phil mine must be faulty as i logged the weight i found yesterday (and i did write it down correctly), i found the weight opposite the large tree near the driveway. However when loading the details as you suggested above to Dave using Nearby.org and the resulting grid ref being shown complete with links etc. Clicking on multimap link shows me to be two fields away from my find spot!!!! maybe i should return it??

Andi

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Maybe worth giving it a few more tests Andi just to be certain, mine has been within 1 to 5 metres which is what is claimed. Make sure you have given it enough time to warm up and it has a clear view of the sky.

Have you tried putting the lat/long degrees, minutes & decimal seconds into Google Earth & seeing where it takes you to?

Jorvik Andi

Post by Jorvik Andi »

Hi Phil i just tried to do a test using google earth, i turned on my director and waited 5 mins to ensure it was warmed up, i then made a note of the co-ords and loaded up google earth and went to my house and read the co-ords they were incorrect, i then navigated to the co-ords that i had from the director and this on google earth placed me in another building which is about 200m away.

Andi

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Shouldn't be out like that Andy, bring it to the Clubs meeting on the 12th and I'll bring mine, we can take readings off both outside the building & compare the results on Google Earth.

Jorvik Andi

Post by Jorvik Andi »

PhilD wrote:Shouldn't be out like that Andy, bring it to the Clubs meeting on the 12th and I'll bring mine, we can take readings off both outside the building & compare the results on Google Earth.

Cheers Phil i'll try and remember it.

Return to “GPS”