need help getting started

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
bammcon93
meble kuchenne warszawa

need help getting started

Post by bammcon93 »

As above could do with a hand to get going live in Sheffield and have transport but no permission's :g48: (yet :g46: ) really enjoyed monday at the coast and would look ve to havea go in a field so if there's anyone out there :g46: would be really grateful :g50:

wes-bez

Re: need help getting started

Post by wes-bez »

bammcon93 wrote:As above could do with a hand to get going live in Sheffield and have transport but no permission's :g48: (yet :g46: ) really enjoyed monday at the coast and would look ve to havea go in a field so if there's anyone out there :g46: would be really grateful :g50:
Troll the net for detecting clubs, midlands area are the best location and near by you. Lincs is brill to but could be wrong direction ???...however the club rout should get you going.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Wrong time of year...fields full of crops or beasts. Mark your diary for mid August onwards...

Desbold
Main Detector: Teknetics T2SE

Post by Desbold »

I think most guys would rather give you half an hour with their wife than invite someone they don't know onto one of their independently obtained permissions. Detectorists are very protective of the land they have access to, although I am sure there are notable exceptions. In fairness, apart from the maniacal cries of "mine, all mine", they have been given the trust of the landowner and if they invited a stranger onto the land and something went wrong, there could be unpleasant consequences.

Since losing my only permission due to the farm being sold, I have been struggling to find land that doesn't already have someone using it, possibly due to not putting enough leg work as job and family eat up most of my time at the moment. Having said that, I have had many excellent days out with two large local-ish clubs. As the others have said, the club route is definitely the way to go until you can get a field or two and you may even prefer it.

I did wonder about buying a piece of land, detecting it to bits and then selling it on to buy another piece. With increasing land prices in the south-east, it could even be profitable. The only sticking point - up to £9000 an acre, and you don't get many one-acre fields!

Best of luck.
Give a little more, take a little less and make the world a better place.

-----------------
Teknetics T2 SE
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Whatever Spade is to Hand
Size 14 Boots
Dodgy Pair of Eyes

wes-bez

Post by wes-bez »

jcmaloney wrote:Wrong time of year...fields full of crops or beasts. Mark your diary for mid August onwards...
...he could still apply for club membership JC as lots have a waiting list.
Last edited by wes-bez on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

wes-bez

Post by wes-bez »

wes-bez wrote:
jcmaloney wrote:Wrong time of year...fields full of crops or beasts. Mark your diary for mid August onwards...

Thr is lots of failed crops around. I have secured a dig with a club that is doing a Sat and Sun dig this weekend on and couple of hundred acres of flat failed crops. I have to go out of my county to it but I am willing to do this.
CS Have a dig this weekend to...may be he could give rich and gill a ring.

Desbold go on the net and search Central Searcher. They often accept casual detectorist and can apy on the day. But you have to ring first to get details...if this weekend is full then thr always next and I am sure they are taking new members anyways.:g50:

bammcon93

Post by bammcon93 »

wes-bez wrote:
wes-bez wrote:

Thr is lots of failed crops around. I have secured a dig with a club that is doing a Sat and Sun dig this weekend on and couple of hundred acres of flat failed crops. I have to go out of my county to it but I am willing to do this.
CS Have a dig this weekend to...may be he could give rich and gill a ring.

Desbold go on the net and search Central Searcher. They often accept casual detectorist and can apy on the day. But you have to ring first to get details...if this weekend is full then thr always next and I am sure they are taking new members anyways.:g50:
Thanks guys since posting this ive become aware that what I really need is a printer for the pc :g42: to join fid ncmd need a printer to write to lots of farmers so I don't get writers cramp need a printer never had one never needed one but needs must :g50: oh and also a passport photo to join cs :g62: think I may have this covered though sent for my passport a few months back so hopefully will have a photo of my ugly mug knocking about somewhere.
Thanks again to all that have replied to my plight and as they say all the best things are worth fighting for

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

[quote="bammcon93"]

what I really need is a printer for the pc :g42: to join fid ncmd need a printer to write to lots of farmers[quote]

I would seriously think about new shoes rather than a new printer... You will have much, much more success if you meet farmers face to face. It might be daunting to do, but they are far more likely to grant you permission if they have met you in person.
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

wes-bez

Post by wes-bez »

:g58: :g58: :g58: definitely face to face is the only way. Put yourself in his position, it would be the last thing on your mind to respond to a letter from someone you have never met or may have no real interest in your hobby till prompted by polite conversation...also offer help in return, mention that you would also be a vermin deterrent while on his land, a sort of living scare crow ....just some pointers for you.

wes-bez

Post by wes-bez »

PS/....and if you get the permission don't forget that bottle of his favourite on a regular basis, remember a dig can cost a tenner a day when with a club so a regular bottle isn't much to you.

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

Do what I do when I am desperate to get out and there is no permission fields available and no club digs on, it costs you a tenner but its not really far to travel, the digs are advertised on here but its pot luck if the fields are decent or green waste spread, I have had some nice finds on NEWS digs :-

N.E.W.S. have a dig this Sunday July 14th.
about 50 acres of grass to search on the Thirsk road just out of Northallerton , North Yorks.
Please meet at Northallerton railway station for 8-30 am.
For any further details please call John on 07832 358 514.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”