How to clean coins?

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
doctorhibbert
meble kuchenne warszawa

How to clean coins?

Post by doctorhibbert »

Absolute newbie here. Just found my first non modern coin, a 1941 threepence. I`m sure that`s quite boring for the experienced folk on here but as it`s my first one I`m well chuffed. It`s in good condition but quite encrusted with a reddish deposit. Can anyone give any advice on how best to clean it up? Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

shaughnt
Main Detector: CTX 3030

Re: How to clean coins?

Post by shaughnt »

Hi Dr, I am afraid there is very little you can do, the red is the leaching of the copper through the coin, your best bet is to purchase a natural bristle nail brush, give the coin a good soak in fresh water then just give it a brush until you get the desired finish, all those years sat in the ground are just about impossible to reverse. And as always with coins if in doubt do nowt.
I started out with Nothing, And I still got most of it left.

Cheers, Shaughn.

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

shaughnt wrote:Hi Dr, I am afraid there is very little you can do, the red is the leaching of the copper through the coin, your best bet is to purchase a natural bristle nail brush, give the coin a good soak in fresh water then just give it a brush until you get the desired finish, all those years sat in the ground are just about impossible to reverse. And as always with coins if in doubt do nowt.
Sound advise, unfortunately coppers and bronzes from the 20th C are not of the best quality and little can be done. But well done on the find all of the same, I like finding 3d bits. Reminds me of the 2 I'd get for my bus fair to school and back in the 1960's.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Hi Doc, you could try a short dip in pure lemon juice, as in the plastic squeezy lemon. About one to two minutes ought to be long enough, then rinse off using an old tooth brush.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

doctorhibbert

Post by doctorhibbert »

Thanks very much for the advice everyone. Great for a newcomer to the hobby to get your help. Not much I can do to improve the coin then but I`ll try the water and lemon juice. To be honest I`m just happy to have found my first non decimal, most of the writing and the date is fairly clear so I don`t want to risk damaging it any more. Cheers again folks.

Old Git John
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

doctorhibbert wrote:Thanks very much for the advice everyone. Great for a newcomer to the hobby to get your help. Not much I can do to improve the coin then but I`ll try the water and lemon juice. To be honest I`m just happy to have found my first non decimal, most of the writing and the date is fairly clear so I don`t want to risk damaging it any more. Cheers again folks.

Don't worry about the lemon juice, it will not harm the coin, as long as you keep to the time limits suggested.

Start off with one to two minutes in the juice, with the coin standing on edge, leaning against the side of the tub. That allows the entire coin to be cleaned in one shot.

Take it out, and rinse it off, under running warm water, brushing it with an old tooth brush.

Then gently rub it dry with a soft cloth, such as a new duster. That will help to remove any crud remaining, and with bring back a "gloss" to your coin.

You can repeat the process "once" if necessary to get any stubborn stains off.

Good luck, and don't worry.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

doctorhibbert

Post by doctorhibbert »

Thanks very much John. I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Ta mate.

chickenjohn2

Post by chickenjohn2 »

just seen this post and was looking for some advice on this. would this work at all with a copper coin ? I found one up the field but it is badly corroded ,lumpy etc. It seems a fraction larger than a modern penny but is so thin.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”