Greetings

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Gatsby
meble kuchenne warszawa

Greetings

Post by Gatsby »

Hi folks,

Name's Mike, 25 from Peterborough.

I've been wanting to get a metal detector for quite some time now and now that I've finally found a job again, I'll be able to!

My grandfather can't really get out and about nowadays because of a litany of stuff that came from something he got in a hospital of all places... Anyway, he used to going out and about with a metal detector with my father and uncle when they were younger and I know he'd have done so now if he was capable of doing so. So it's a hobby I want to pick up for myself, but also mindful that he'll be elated when I do find things and can go over and see him with a story to tell. He's a history buff as well and loves the city's history.

I'm eyeing up the Garrett 250 Ace and I'll likely pick up the pin pointer thingy at some stage as well.

I'm in a village and surrounded by farming fields, so I'm hoping to take a trip around soon and see if I can get permission to have a go over and around them soon. My grandfather said that they used to plough down to 18" but now only to 9" or so since the introduction of pesticides or something along those lines; Will I still be able to pick stuff up below that line?

I'm a huge fan of Roman history and there was a lot of activity around this neck of the woods back then, so I might be so lucky as to find something along those lines. Would be ecstatic if I did! There's a place just about 7-10 miles away where there was a large fort and other settlements, but I imagine that place has been gone over countless times, so I'm not sure if I'll venture over there or not yet, maybe go off the beaten track and see if I can find anything.

Lastly, some advice on what I should be looking at as far as potentially good areas. I've looked at some websites that offer old maps and I can see some going back to the 19th century that aren't too expensive, around £10 or so. Would it be worth picking these up so I can see where things were throughout the past and where I might find things?

Cheers

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Greetings

Post by Donnydave »

Gatsby wrote:Hi folks,

Name's Mike, 25 from Peterborough.

I've been wanting to get a metal detector for quite some time now and now that I've finally found a job again, I'll be able to!

My grandfather can't really get out and about nowadays because of a litany of stuff that came from something he got in a hospital of all places... Anyway, he used to going out and about with a metal detector with my father and uncle when they were younger and I know he'd have done so now if he was capable of doing so. So it's a hobby I want to pick up for myself, but also mindful that he'll be elated when I do find things and can go over and see him with a story to tell. He's a history buff as well and loves the city's history.

I'm eyeing up the Garrett 250 Ace and I'll likely pick up the pin pointer thingy at some stage as well.

I'm in a village and surrounded by farming fields, so I'm hoping to take a trip around soon and see if I can get permission to have a go over and around them soon. My grandfather said that they used to plough down to 18" but now only to 9" or so since the introduction of pesticides or something along those lines; Will I still be able to pick stuff up below that line?

I'm a huge fan of Roman history and there was a lot of activity around this neck of the woods back then, so I might be so lucky as to find something along those lines. Would be ecstatic if I did! There's a place just about 7-10 miles away where there was a large fort and other settlements, but I imagine that place has been gone over countless times, so I'm not sure if I'll venture over there or not yet, maybe go off the beaten track and see if I can find anything.

Lastly, some advice on what I should be looking at as far as potentially good areas. I've looked at some websites that offer old maps and I can see some going back to the 19th century that aren't too expensive, around £10 or so. Would it be worth picking these up so I can see where things were throughout the past and where I might find things?

Cheers
Welcome to the forum and the great hobby of metal detecting, I do not think you should have any trouble obtaining search permission in your area, unless of course local clubs have tied up the land?
As far as Roman fort sites are concerned they will probably be scheduled but the surrounding areas are usually good to detect? You do not need to buy maps for research the internet should do that for you if you use the following link or Magic maps the red areas are the scheduled sites http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/mapsearch.aspx good hunting.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”