Sharing finds with landowner

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
ianrichards
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Teknetics T2

Sharing finds with landowner

Post by ianrichards »

I'm fortunate to have a very friendly farmer (next door) who'm I'm about to sweet-talk.
No doubt we both sign a 50/50 share agreement in return for permission to use his land, but what is the best arrangement for sharing the more mundane stuff.
They may well be junk to him, but they are relics to me.
TIA
Ian

centurian
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: XP Goldmax Power

Re: Sharing finds with landowner

Post by centurian »

He will be pleased that you take the junk off his land,i guess.

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Hi Ian, you may not need a 50/50 share agreement, let the farmer decide whether or not he wants one. Many farmers/landowners prefer a handshake
and mutual trust.

Keep him/her informed of all you find, showing him/her whenever you can, and invite the person to have any which they would like to. More often than not
they will politely say no thank you. You can of course make up a display box of finds which come from their land, but, always make sure that the finds are
actually just that, from their land. This time of year is a good time for such a present, together with a bottle, or box of biscuits for the family, plus of course
the card.
Best of luck, I am sure that you will be O.K., because you are definitely showing honesty right here.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

ianrichards
Main Detector: Teknetics T2

Post by ianrichards »

Thanks and all the best.
Ian

Old Git John wrote:Hi Ian, you may not need a 50/50 share agreement, let the farmer decide whether or not he wants one. Many farmers/landowners prefer a handshake
and mutual trust.

Keep him/her informed of all you find, showing him/her whenever you can, and invite the person to have any which they would like to. More often than not
they will politely say no thank you. You can of course make up a display box of finds which come from their land, but, always make sure that the finds are
actually just that, from their land. This time of year is a good time for such a present, together with a bottle, or box of biscuits for the family, plus of course
the card.
Best of luck, I am sure that you will be O.K., because you are definitely showing honesty right here.

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Old Git John wrote:Hi Ian, you may not need a 50/50 share agreement, let the farmer decide whether or not he wants one. Many farmers/landowners prefer a handshake
and mutual trust.

the card.
Yes I agree with everything the Old Git says Ian - honesty is always the best policy.
Minelab Manticore

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

Some farmers are only interested in the more valuable or treasure finds, like John as said if you show them what you are finding they usually seem uninterested in the stuff we find exciting, but honesty is the key, some detectorists forget all about the original agreement once they have secured permission but the farmer can always change his mind if he thinks your being less than honest with him :g43:

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

OGJ has it spot on.

Some think every hole is a gold coin............the reality is much different.

One of my farmers has no interest in coins etc but has every bit of worked flint, another was brought to tears by his grandads engraved penknife. You never know so being honest is the best plan.

Desreally
UKDN Supporter

Post by Desreally »

I've shared finds with farmer landowners for years.
Always show them what turns up, especially if the land has been in the same family for eons.
Some of them do like to be offered their choice of the finds and some like coins, others like clay pipe bowls, stems etc. In fact one farmer told me "I have often found the stems but never the bowls!"
This past Summer, I gave away the vast majority of what I found from two fields as a request for that was part of the permission.

Good Hunting

Des D

Desreally
UKDN Supporter

Post by Desreally »

I've shared finds with farmer landowners for years.
Always show them what turns up, especially if the land has been in the same family for eons.
Some of them do like to be offered their choice of the finds and some like coins, others like clay pipe bowls, stems etc. In fact one farmer told me "I have often found the stems but never the bowls!"
This past Summer, I gave away the vast majority of what I found from two fields as a request for that was part of the permission.

Good Hunting

Des D

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

and mutual trust.

the card.
John, you dont half talk a load of.........

sense :g5b:
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

One the other hand, playing devil's advocate, what if you found a huge hoard and the landowner said 'we agreed nothing in writing' and wanted it all, could you end up with nothing or would you still get 50% without a written agreement?

Also re the non treasure finds you could agree to share 'finds of significant value' with the landowner should he wish and agree with him what to set the 'significant value' at.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”