Applying for permission to detect

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Applying for permission to detect

Post by Donnydave »

I have had success using all methods, face to face, letter writing and telephone calls, I,ve never managed or attempted it by e-mail though, though my detecting buddy did get us a Mansion house permission I believe intially by e-mail. Sometimes call calling can be hard and dangerous where guard dogs are concerned? Don,t give up on the letter writing I have got four good sites by writing :g58: :g50:

Gentlemanmike
Main Detector: Viking v5

Post by Gentlemanmike »

Donnydave wrote:I have had success using all methods, face to face, letter writing and telephone calls, I,ve never managed or attempted it by e-mail though, though my detecting buddy did get us a Mansion house permission I believe intially by e-mail. Sometimes call calling can be hard and dangerous where guard dogs are concerned? Don,t give up on the letter writing I have got four good sites by writing :g58: :g50:
Thanks (I must admit, I didnt even think about email)

ARCHI UK
Main Detector: Tesoro Lobo Traq

Post by ARCHI UK »

Hi,

I'll be writing an article for Treasure Hunting magazine to be published in a couple of months on a method I have found to be incredibly successfull. Basically, I do a bit of research on geneology websites and get a bit of history on the farm (eg census returns). I also do a bit of research on old map sites etc and send the farmer a copy of SOME of the things I have found. I then offer the rest of the information I have found in return for detecting permission. When I originally took this approach, two farmers actually rang ME and invited me to their farms!

Like most people, farmers aren't going to be happy about giving away something of theirs (ie permission to go on their land) for nothing and its probably right to assure them that you are there to help them too. Given that most farmers are very interested in the history of their farm, then an offer of doing quality research on their behalf will seem like a good deal - because they are unlikely to have the time to do it themselves. I don't really talk about treasure to farmers because if you convince them that you are going to find treasure, then why do they need you anymore?!

Anyway, I'm not sure of the exact publication issue, but I think it will be around July ie be in time for the season. I'll be covering where you can get farm history records from (eg National Farm Surveys, Tithe Maps, old records showing land exchanges etc) in the article.

Thanks

Chris

garymoir55

Post by garymoir55 »

IF its a particular site, I always do research,print it off and present it at the door, give the history project approach, its true you have to fascinate the guy in 30 seconds, I have not been refused by any landowner ive asked, be nice,be smart and if you can,yes I would take the mrs,it eases the intro,and fact, less intimidating .good luck

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

Good advice Gary, it's all about the history of their land and what you can contribute to it :g50:

Phone calls and emails in my opinion make it too easy to say no, who would give permission to someone they don't know from Adam? Then you can't go back and ask again face to face.

So good luck, tell them you do it by the book and assure them their finds will be seen and recorded for posterity on the PAS database and give them to the landowner should you wish.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Just a tiny point on the subject of farm dogs. I always carry a few "doggy chews" when going onto unknown land,
you never know when a farmer is going to creep up behind you and snaffle your a**e :g40: :g40: :g40: :hahaha:
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Much depends on the owner, if you are aiming for large estates then I write to ask for an appointment and don`t even mention detecting.
Local farms are face to face... and many of them round these parts know me by now.
Never give up on a farm, things change as do peoples outlooks.

garymoir55

Post by garymoir55 »

I have been approached by phone, from a friend of farmer/landowner, I already have permission with
"" would you mind coming down and look at my land with your detectors,"" I'm sure you wil lfind some old stuff"", hes really interested in the history which has taken place on his land, so papers and history printed off, let you know how it gos, I think this may be a rarity, but my approach has obviously got benefits!!!

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”