found gold....now what?

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
jpd1903
UKDN Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

found gold....now what?

Post by jpd1903 »

Hi, yesterday I posted an image of a gold Celtic stater, my first gold and first coin before 1800's.
(I wasn't certain that is what it was, I had convinced myself otherwise, it was rapidly identified which I am very grateful for).

I have told the land owner. But now what? What obligations am I under to tell others? Is it treasure? Some things I have read suggest that yes, it is (gold +300 years old). Others suggests that it isn't. Do I need to contact the FLO? Should I tell local museum?
A bit of a noob to the hobby (under one year) and this is my first find of significance. Thanks guys.
321 I'm back in the game (Jul18)

Evo

Re: found gold....now what?

Post by Evo »

You certainly should notify the FLO to give the location of the find for recording purposes.
I think it is up to you to come to an agreement with the landowner with regards the sharing of any profits gained, but as I understand it, without a written contract, legally, any thing found on his land belongs to him. I am sure that most landowners would be good enough to repay your honesty with a fair share.
As for the treasure aspect, I do not believe a single coin find would constitute treasure. I am prepared to stand corrected on any of these points by much more knowledgeable people on here.
Hope this helps.
Embrace the sadness with a smile, and keep on swinging!

peterh
UKDN Supporter

Post by peterh »

As said by Evo, a single coin does not constitute Treasure, unless it has been altered in some way so that it becomes an 'artefact', for example by piercing to wear on a string, or by fitting it into a mount or to form a badge or brooch.

There is no legal obligation therefore to declare it, but recording with your FLO is good practice.
Consequitur quodcunque petit

F75 and DFX user

meandmydreams
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Deus and GMP

Post by meandmydreams »

One thing to add here is that if the farm is under environmental stewardship, there is a requirement to record all finds over 300 years of age with the PAS Scheme. This is not to say you are breaking the law if you ignore it, but that you put the land owner under risk of substantial penalties if you do not record. I would suggest that this is discussed with the land owner as he/she should be aware of this.
Secondly, your find is not treasure unless it is associated with other finds such as previous coins from the same area.

It is worth visiting the PAS Scheme website and familiarising yourself with the legalities and best practice of our hobby. Start with the Code of Practice: https://finds.org.uk/getinvolved/guides/codeofpractice

meandmydreams.
This is a link to my publicly available finds on the PAS Database http://finds.org.uk/database/search/res ... 1B63D0139E

splodge
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver
Main Detector: deus

Post by splodge »

I'd be back to that spot again.

jpd1903
UKDN Supporter

Post by jpd1903 »

Thanks guys for the information and guidance. I will be going back.
321 I'm back in the game (Jul18)

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”