Ridge and Furrow

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Wigeon
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: E-Trac

Ridge and Furrow

Post by Wigeon »

I am looking forward to detecting on some considerable areas of ridge and furrow on my friend's farm in Lincolnshire where I also do some deerstalking.

The area is not scheduled but has been pasture for at least four generations that we can be sure of.
There has been no detecting on the farm.

I would appreciate any advice/tips before I start with my E-Trac.

I received Norfolk Wolf's and Andy Sabisch's books for Christmas, so lots of reading to get my head around there. :xmasbiggrin .

tinner
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Deus

Re: Ridge and Furrow

Post by tinner »

what you need is an experienced person to help you can be tricky too start with :hahaha:
jocking apart just go slow with the etrac and dig all the signals until you are confidant
anything with a 12 will be good :g50:
2018 69 hammys
2019 1 hammered

Barbados_Rum
UKDN Supporter and Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: XP Deus V5.21

Post by Barbados_Rum »

Fingers crossed for you Wigeon :g62:
At least you know that that area had intense human activity so a good chance of finds.

I mentioned "Ridge & Furrow" at a club where I used to be a member and an attempt was made to try and publicly humiliate me in front of everyone there. Anyway, that's history and it hasn't done The PAST team any harm :g42: :hahaha:

Best
Paul
.....If it's undetectable..... it's not there!

Visit our Blogs:
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Where pasture land has not been disturbed by the plough for many years, is this likely to mean that targets will have sunk deeper than on cultivated fields ?

Is this a case for going to manual sensitivity increasing it until the machine chatters too much or is auto +3 just as likely to produce finds ?
I have found auto+3 very stable so far.

I have used my E TRAC a great deal since October so have become familiar with the signals, but on very different ground (fen peat) to the ridge and furrow pasture, owned by my friend. I have been using line 31 ferrous discrimination for some time now, instead of the 'coins' pattern. It is a simple pattern recommended by Desreally and it has worked well for me on the fen peat.

Should I now also be experimenting with 'recovery deep' too ? I have read quite a bit about this feature which simply seems to amplify faint signals, if I understand it correctly ?
I have a 13''coil as well as the stock coil.

I hope these are not completely daft questions as I am simply trying to avoid going off at a tangent through relative inexperience.

splodge
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver
Main Detector: deus

Post by splodge »

Barbados_Rum wrote:Fingers crossed for you Wigeon :g62:
At least you know that that area had intense human activity so a good chance of finds.

I mentioned "Ridge & Furrow" at a club where I used to be a member and an attempt was made to try and publicly humiliate me in front of everyone there. Anyway, that's history and it hasn't done The PAST team any harm :g42: :hahaha:

Best
Paul
Oooo. Do tell.

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

splodge wrote:
Barbados_Rum wrote:Fingers crossed for you Wigeon :g62:

Best
Paul
Oooo. Do tell.
I have a sneaky suspicion what BR was referring to - but as this is a family show!! :ignore:
Minelab Manticore

coreservers
Technical Administrator and UKDN Supporter
Technical Administrator and UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: Equinox 800

Post by coreservers »

interesting thing to check... i asked about some ridge and furrow fields round here, but they are in fact scheduled. farmer is allowed to graze sheep on them but thats it..
Minelab Equinox 800
How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a lightbulb? None, Bill Gates just makes darkness the industry standard

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

coreservers wrote:interesting thing to check... i asked about some ridge and furrow fields round here, but they are in fact scheduled. farmer is allowed to graze sheep on them but thats it..
Thanks for that. I have checked and the fields are not scheduled but as they are quite large, I am trying to get a steer on the best way to go about it but without much luck to date. Perhaps being able to detect ridge and furrow is an unusual privilege so not much experience about ?

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

I have dtected ridge and furrow a few times in the past, but found nothing older than georgian. I suspect that you may have better luck with the e-trac as we were using Laser B1's at the time. Good luck, its worth a try!
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

you also need to check that the field(s) are not encompassed in the Natural England stewardship schemes..........it is my understanding that t detect pasture that has bee undisturbed for 5+ years is a no no.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

popsandme wrote:you also need to check that the field(s) are not encompassed in the Natural England stewardship schemes..........it is my understanding that t detect pasture that has bee undisturbed for 5+ years is a no no.
Thanks, I was not aware of this possibility, so will check it out.

Evo
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Evo »

Hi. I don't know where in Lincolnshire you are going but this is a link to Lidar site that covers alot of that area and may be some help.http://enfarchsoc.org/opendata/
If you need any local advice drop me a line and if I can help in any way I will.
Embrace the sadness with a smile, and keep on swinging!

splodge
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver
Main Detector: deus

Post by splodge »

I think perhaps dig the furrows as the soil will be thinner?

The Polecat

Post by The Polecat »

Deep on, minimum amount of disc ,sens as high as it will will go without chatter and unwanted noise.hold coil on the grass noise cancel,go slow and steady' coil as close as you can to the surface,finds will be deep good luck.

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips. I have an archaeologist friend calling round this morning to show me how to use the lidar site posted by Evo as I couldn't figure it out. The farm is clearly covered by the lidar site though. Thanks again.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”