Here's my question.

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Clockwork
UKDN Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa

Here's my question.

Post by Clockwork »

As a first metal detector and wanting to learn how to detect is it, better to go for a machine that has a display and buttons or the more old fashioned twirly knobs. Eg, A Garrett Euro ACE or a C.Scope. Many thanks. :rockers:
So far, so good......so what!.

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Re: Here's my question.

Post by popsandme »

There are arguments for and against both mate. The important thing to remember is what your budget will allow. I think there are slot more detectors on the market that have a display and for some it is a good way in determining what is a good target from bad, but it's crucial to remember that it's about the tone as well.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Clockwork
UKDN Supporter

Post by Clockwork »

popsandme wrote:There are arguments for and against both mate. The important thing to remember is what your budget will allow. I think there are slot more detectors on the market that have a display and for some it is a good way in determining what is a good target from bad, but it's crucial to remember that it's about the tone as well.
Thank you...... :g30:
So far, so good......so what!.

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

It also depends on your hearing as well :g58: some detectors are irritating to some users, if your hard of hearing like me? a machine that as a crisp two way signal can help. The minelabs are brilliant machines, but the explorer range take some getting use to by a beginner, they whistle and squeak and can be quite confusing :g58: C-scopes are easy to use as are Garretts, also Tesoro,s. The T2 is also a great machine if it is set up right and does,nt take long to learn.

Brianmo
Site Owner and Creator
Site Owner and Creator
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Brianmo »

Any more views?
From Brian & Mo' Cross
Creators of UK DETECTOR NET FORUM
http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk

Rich-t
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver

Post by Rich-t »

I would rather take the risk and buy a 2nd hand top range machine than a new lower/mid range machine,as many of them have had little use,if there is a club in your area contact them and make a visit to one of there meetings,you will learn so much more than the few tips we can give on here.
If you buy a more simple machine set it up with minimum discrimination,start at zero discrim and slowly increase it until you turn a positive 2 way signal for say a rusty decent size nail into a ''negative spit'' or silence,then dig everything to start with that gives a good two way signal to get used to the different sounds objects give you.If your comfortable navigating a computerized screen I can send my settings for the Minelab explorer11 which once they are in they return to them automatically on switching back on,so is very easy to use after setting it up with only minor tweaks needed in the field occasionally.(£300-£450 second hand)
There are many Deus users on here as well who could help with settings etc if you were able to get one 2nd hand within your budget that is. At this stage I would say seek out a club to learn the ropes and try and get some land to search)
All the best Rich.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”