Researching your sites

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
petethedig
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Minelab Etrac

Researching your sites

Post by petethedig »

Researching Your sites

This is one of those subjects that have no right or wrong way of proceeding. Many people who have been detecting over the years have developed their own strategy with regard to researching a site. This is an overview of the modus operand (method) I have developed for myself in many years of detecting.

Where to start?
The best place to start is your place or site of interest. I prefer to detect close to home, but I realise this is not always possible for some. I will deal with my research like it’s my local area, but the principle will transpire to any location you wish.

The very first thing I always start with is the purchase of a map pertaining to the area in question of my research and interest. Through habit I tend to use Ordnance Survey maps with a scale of 1:25,000. The map is not necessary but it will give you an overview of the landscape in which your site will exist.

The research begins
I tend to start researching land that has some historical value attached to it, such as the likes of a market site or a settlement or maybe a church near the boundary? Wherever people have lived they have left behind the everyday detritus they continually used.

It’s worth noting the fact that in researching your site you may come across sites that have restrictions on them and so they are not permitted to be detected unless with prior agreement from the appropriate agencies involved.

These sites may be Scheduled monuments or schemes such as Countryside Stewardship, which may have restricted areas not allowing detecting due to prior agreements. It may be worth during your research having a look at the SMR (Sites and Monuments Record) just to check any possible sites attached to the land you are seeking to detect upon.

Records
Libraries are and have been a great wealth for researching possible sites! There has been a great influx of ‘local history’ books written in the past 20 years or so. These books are often invaluable when trying to understand the context of your site(s) of interest!

It’s been my experience over the years that the ‘local Vicar’ is an untapped wealth of knowledge and more often than not willing to spend some time with you in researching Parish and Church records. They often not only know much of the local history, but are the link with the local inhabitants too!
Local and regional Museums are not only time worth spending at, but will fill in some of the gaps that may appear in your research. Museums will not just deal with the finds that have been gathered over the years, but will give you the ‘human story’ as well! Many curators at these museums are willing to explain any queries you may ask about any given exhibit. All this information will give you a rounded picture of the history you are seeking to understand.

Your Computer
Well as we all know this has been a revolution in information technology.
Its now probably the best friend and tool available for researching sites of interest. The problem for some is where do you begin?

This is again an area that people have developed their own methods of use.
There are a myriad of sites available with all kinds of information from all kinds of places that will help you in your research.

I always start with map’s, and two kinds at maps that are easily accessible on-line.

There are a number of sites available like Multimap , Magic Map or Getmapping
All will need some time spent on them to get used to how they work best for you?

The other map that I’m sure has been a real discovery for most on-line detectorist is Old Maps It’s a map of the country that’s on-line dated 1889/90. This one tool will permit you to view your sites of interest from that period in time. It will also allow you to view a modern OS map too!
It contains a tool that detectorist are becoming more and more reliant on and has become central to any research that is carried out today.

Aerial Photography
The wonderful thing in my view about old-maps is the fact that you can see a map of 1889 and then look at an aerial photograph of the same site to compare differences or changes. Its amazing what details can be made out whilst zooming in and out on the sites of your interest! Of course the other web sites will also give you aerial views too! These tools are not to be under estimated and will on closer inspection allow you to see all kinds of details like crop-marks for instance!

Finally
Let’s not forget that any research is a means to an end and that the very best kind I have discovered over the years is the face to face chat with the landowner. I use the phrase ‘vocal history is local history,’ and this has proven its worth time and time again. A few minutes with the landowner or farmer can save hours of needless detecting, remember they are mostly the one’s who know their land the best! Well good hunting to you all!

Peter Twinn
(Petethedig)

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”