Detectorists against Green Waste Campaign!!

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Re: Detectorists against Green Waste Campaign!!

Post by PhilD »

Does this mean that at present the waste doesn't have to meet the British Standard?

Key Message
Anyone treating local authority "waste from households" such as green wastes or food wastes needs to be aware that changes are likely to be required in the longer term. Although there should be no immediate requirement for compost and digestat to meet the Quality Protocol and PAS100/PAS110.

http://www.nfuonline.com/Our-work/Envir ... Digestate/
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

From much reading it seems PAS100 only currently applies to bagged domestic green waste/compost. That article Phil linked to above however gives some interesting leads and places to apply pressure eg: DEFRA & European Commission's Joint Research Centre. :g50:
More letters & e-mails I reckon.... eventually someone,somewhere will listen.

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

jcmaloney wrote:From much reading it seems PAS100 only currently applies to bagged domestic green waste/compost. That article Phil linked to above however gives some interesting leads and places to apply pressure eg: DEFRA & European Commission's Joint Research Centre. :g50:
More letters & e-mails I reckon.... eventually someone,somewhere will listen.
I agree John. I'm sending off a lot of emails, tweets, letters. You name it. Keep knocking and somebody will listen. :g50: I also haven't forgot about the flier :g50:
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

liz

Post by liz »

Barney, you say you have a letter from Defra stating there should be no contamination in green waste,that, in my opinion, is the most important letter we have, so what does it say?

the barnacle
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
Main Detector: Deus

Post by the barnacle »

liz wrote:Barney, you say you have a letter from Defra stating there should be no contamination in green waste,that, in my opinion, is the most important letter we have, so what does it say?
i will email you the letter liz :g50:

this is a reply from sainsburys -

Dear Mr Wright

Thanks for your email about farm contamination.

I’ve passed the information you’ve provided to one of our team to look into further for you, as we use only reputable suppliers and take all such allegations seriously. Once I receive their feedback about this, I’ll get back in touch to share this with you directly.

We appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with us and for bringing this to our attention. We look forward to contacting you again as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Denise McIntosh | Customer Manager
Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd | 33 Holborn, London | EC1N 2HT

twin123

Post by twin123 »

hi try friends of the earth waste policy for england

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

I got a letter from my MP saying she had written to ministers on my behalf and would be back in touch with any further information :g43:

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Nice work Dave..... just remember the cogs of the public sector grind very,very,very sloooooooowwwwwwllllllyyyyyyy. I know I`m in it! lol

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

Twitter followers hit 94 in just a couple of weeks (including a number of farmers)
https://twitter.com/#!/toxiccompost
Creator of

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

I`ve just discovered that I can post a report directly onto the local newspapers website. Not sure how countrywide it is but it seems Newsquest have bought most of the local evening paper market and websites thereof, if your local rag is under a www.thisis(insertcounty).co.uk then you might be able to be a citizen journalist! I`ll post the result when I have a dabble later/tommorrow.

AXE HEAD
Main Detector: Makro Multi Kruzer

Post by AXE HEAD »

Well ! . Sat down for Half an hour composed a letter giving our views on the Green waste issue , Sent the Email to the producer of Country File and four days later have heard Diddly Squat, Not even " Thank,s for your Email
blah, blah ,blah. It is one thing sending Emails or letters , But when they cannot be bothered to get back to you
it is this that Pis*** me off.
Sorry about the negative attitude, and I hope whoever else gives it a go has better results.

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

AXE HEAD wrote:Well ! . Sat down for Half an hour composed a letter giving our views on the Green waste issue , Sent the Email to the producer of Country File and four days later have heard Diddly Squat, Not even " Thank,s for your Email
blah, blah ,blah. It is one thing sending Emails or letters , But when they cannot be bothered to get back to you
it is this that Pis*** me off.
Sorry about the negative attitude, and I hope whoever else gives it a go has better results.

It's hard to take I agree. Believe it or not I've written and Barney has too. No reply. But we will keep out knocking on doors. People will answer. The BBC don't pay their own wages. :g44: The NCMD are going to make noises with the BBC too. :g58:
Creator of

StuE
Main Detector: Deus

Post by StuE »

At least you tried Axe Head - re-hash the letter and email it to a few of the other links on here - all helps to spread the word.

It was good to receive this email today:-

Ban 'Green' Waste being dumped on our Countryside!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NCMD meet to discuss Green Waste

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 09:10 AM PDT

For the benefit of members from the OGM on 24.06.12;

1:There is to be a Parliamentary Debate concerning "Recreational Access to the Countrside" as such the NCMD(as members of SARA, Sport & Recreational Alliance) have been invited to,and have submitted, a briefing note as to what restricts members from accessing the countryside in pursuit of their hobby and to make recommendations thereon.
Top of the list; Contaminated Green Waste. The summary line of the three paragraphs is as follows;

"The dumping of such material is nothing short of legalised fly tipping and is unacceptable. It has to be stopped.

2:An NCMD "Green Waste" sub-commitee has been set up to expand the current dossier of information that can be presented at all Parliamentary & associated working groups the NCMD take part in. Information can be sent by members through clubs via their regional reps, the NCMD forum or any committee members. We are looking for pictures & locations (to postcode only!).
It was also discussed that any member of the public can report incidences of CGW (spread or piled for future use) to the Environment Agency who are obliged to act on such reports. It is recommended that detectorists,where appropriate, discuss CGW contents with their farmers first rather than risk alienating the very people whose help we need to overcome this problem.

[Well done to those involved.]
Found any lead bag seals? Email a piccy to me for inclusion on The Bag Seal Gallery Ourpasthistory.com Image Gallery :: Lead Cloth & Bag Seals
Don't be a complete Banker, make a micro-loan - http://www.kiva.org/team/humanist

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

One good thing, but not for detecting, is that it looks like the aluminium won,t cause any problems in the food chain, but I doubt all the components from electric circuit boards and leaking batteries will be as safe, and where are the hypodermic needles coming from? I have been really ill since I last went out on that contaminated field, I am part way through a course of anti-biotic's but its not touching this bug, sore, throat chest infection, I am hoping I have not picked it up from there because I can not think where else it came from :g43: I thought my wife had past it on from her sister but it seems her sisters only lasted 24 hours, my wife is into her second week and feeling no better?

AXE HEAD
Main Detector: Makro Multi Kruzer

Post by AXE HEAD »

Donny, I some times turn up for the N.E.W.S. digs Looks like I missed a bad one. hope the infection is not down to the dig, there is some awful bugs going around .
It looks like some of the flack we are firing is getting through, well done those who have had some success.
It only need the likes of David Bellamy to get involved and things could get done . What worries me as I have said in recent posts if it gets out that the metal detecting fraternity is rocking the boat then it could back fire on us if farmers were to lose money by our actions. What we Do not want to push is the fact that it is ruining our days out metal detecting.

We need to put over that we have noticed the tipping while in the field , and are worried about the
affect on the environment that has be mentioned in other posts.

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”