fed up of green waste.

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
the barnacle
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus

Re: fed up of green waste.

Post by the barnacle »

this is a good site to contact your mp - Click Here :g50:

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

As elsewhere..... if someone "artistic" can knock up a flyer (that fits 3 or 4 on a sheet of A4.....that anyone can print & cut? We`ve also got a stall at the CLA Game Fair in late July... might be worth while?

trigger
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by trigger »

What about letting countryfile know about this problem.
Most farmers watch this every sunday :g50:

the barnacle

Post by the barnacle »

trigger wrote:What about letting countryfile know about this problem.
Most farmers watch this every sunday :g50:
we have contacted them with no joy yet but the more that contact them the better as they might listen to a few so please mail them :g50:

philthedigger
Main Detector: XP DĺEUS

Post by philthedigger »

Maybe it would be worth approaching the supermarkets to highlight the issue as they have a lot of influence over the farmers who supply their produce.
"There are no strangers, just friends we've yet to meet."

Onwards and upwards,................to infirmity and beyond

Mal Asterley
UKDN Valued Supporter and Word Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: Arado 120B

Post by Mal Asterley »

I have just been looking through my Council Website trying to find Email addresses for my local Councillors when I came across their policy on Fly Tippers and the top and bottom is =- ANYONE ILLEGALLY DUMPING WASTE (FLY TIPPERS) WILL BE PROCECUTED .

So if these companys are including illegal stuff combined with their "green" waste and spreading it on fields then the solution for procecuting them is already in place !!!! , We Joe Public see them dump on a field so we phone our Local Council and report them and they must be procecuted !!! .

I bet its not that simple is it ??

Mal .
Some Men were born great , some Men worked to be great , with me it was just natural !!

Cscope cs4pi. Fuji FinePix S2750HD . Fuji Finepix JX 530 Nikon coolpix ,Nikon D3000

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Nope.... there is a "tolerance of 10% metals" in the compost. If there is 100 tons thats 10 ton of scrap. I`m busying myself on this at the weekend.... first e-mail is going to Weetabix!!! They grow lots of ingredients in South Leics/Northants. If it "gets out" that their product is growing in this c*ap..... thats when people will sit up and take notice.

Mal Asterley
Main Detector: Arado 120B

Post by Mal Asterley »

Thanks for that JC , so apart from seeing the garbage actually being dropped on land is there another way to find out where its happening ?? , I mean Mr Birdseye wouldnt like it on his fresh peas instead of a sprig of mint would he etc. etc. so how can we find out and all start writing to the companys .

Mal . .
Some Men were born great , some Men worked to be great , with me it was just natural !!

Cscope cs4pi. Fuji FinePix S2750HD . Fuji Finepix JX 530 Nikon coolpix ,Nikon D3000

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

I`m planning on doing some hard graft over the weekend using the web & dubious access to very good Oxford library! :g42:

First thing thats popped up is this paper from 2008/2009
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18691760

A critical review of the bioavailability and impacts of heavy metals in municipal solid waste composts compared to sewage sludge.
Smith SR.
Source
Centre for Environmental Control and Waste Management, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Imperial College London, South Kensington Campus, London, SW7 2AZ, UK. s.r.smith@imperial.ac.uk

I will ping an email off to s.r.smith as well to see what he reckons, a bit of academic support is a good thing.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

More blurb..... it seems the UK has no legally defined standards, just guidance and "Proposed quality standards by
private composting association" !!
http://solvita.com/pdf-files/nysar-ne.pdf

Or maybe we do............ :g49:

http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/bsi-pas- ... ty-compost

Although that doesn`t specify agricultural quantities....

the barnacle

Post by the barnacle »

very interesting jc - with refference to waste guidelines i have a letter off defra stating that the green waste should have no contamination in at all. :g43:

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Ooooooo the chain continues..... last one for tonight!!!
http://www.organics-recycling.org.uk/

I might sign up for that one.

liz

Post by liz »

the barnacle wrote:very interesting jc - with refference to waste guidelines i have a letter off defra stating that the green waste should have no contamination in at all. :g43:

:g50: :g50: :g50: :g50: :g50: :g50: :g50:

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Seems there is a "grey" area between domestic use compost and that stuff being dumped on agricultural land. Head is down for the day to see what can be found.

Brianmo
Site Owner and Creator
Site Owner and Creator
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Brianmo »

Just had a phone call from tesco's with a request to send an email containing all the links to customer.service@tesco.co.uk

I have done that, if a few more do it then they are going to take notice and investigate :g38:

Take note of the last sentence in the first paragraph.
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you as I want to bring to your attention the contamination of farm land in this country by so called “green" waste. 1000s of tons of “green” waste are being spread on to the land daily, this waste is not being filtered as it should be; it contains a vast amount of plastic, glass, aluminium and other toxic rubbish, it will affect the whole population and future generations as it enters the food chain. This needs stopping NOW before our countryside becomes a huge landfill site. As a major supermarket I am hoping you will investigate and I am sure you will not want this waste being picked up with the food you have packaged on your behalf.

Please Take a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDq9Ai_p7TI

Here is a link to an e-petition that has been started http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30392

There is also a NCMD (National Council for Metal Detecting) article at the link below

http://www.atoz.forumukdetectornet.co.u ... 0Waste.pdf

To quote the RSPCA, who receive over 7000 phone calls per year, ”With many pet and farm owners going direct to vets, and many injured wild animals never being found, it is estimated that this figure is just the tip of the iceberg".

Most farmers are unaware that the "Green" compost they are spreading on their land from Local Council/Private run recycling composters is full of contamination. We have been told some farmers can no longer plough the fields and have even had to have the veterinary out after animals ate the waste.

Thanking you for taking the time to read this letter, and lets hope together we can reverse this problem before it is to late.

Yours sincerely

Brian Cross
My address
From Brian & Mo' Cross
Creators of UK DETECTOR NET FORUM
http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”