Nearly every field was covered in green waste?

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

Nearly every field was covered in green waste?

Post by Donnydave »

Dazz and I decided to try another N.E.W.S. dig today but the moment I stepped on the first field I could see the tinfoil and rotted blockboard all over. I turned the Deus on and every swing was chewed up aluminium can or foil or lumps of thick aluminium. I came straight off and walked looking for a clean field, quarter of a mile and three fields up I found a well rotted maize stubble field, and the silence was golden, my first two signals was large deep iron, a large hook and an iron blade, a bit further on I found a couple of pieces of interesting lead bits, then a few buttons appeared. I looked up and by this time this tiny field was chocker block with bodies, so I decided to see if I could find anything on one of the contaminated fields, but out of twenty digs I found two buttons, someone had mentioned to me that one of these fields had been detected on last year near a pond and it turned out to be an old fair site :g58: but then it was not contaminated, but I failed to find it. So we packed in and went to try our own fields out without any luck :g51:
I checked the area out when I got home on Google Earth and I had gone one field in the wrong direction the pond was a field over away from the road :g44:

Sandbanks

Re: Nearly every field was covered in green waste?

Post by Sandbanks »

Surely this " green waste " is not environmentally friendly and enough is enough :g43:

the barnacle
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
Main Detector: Deus

Post by the barnacle »

its only going to get worse thats why we keep going on about it, needs to stop for the environment and not just because we detect.

liz

Post by liz »

I would like to see a map of affected areas...no I am not saying we need exact fields....just a very, very rough idea, I think there are some may be just some cowboy operators. My example of a map would be....that I haven't seen any in Rutland, but I have come across it in North Northamptonshire, just a vague map just to show where is affected, to see if there is a pattern.

omegamike
Main Detector: Minelab GPX4800

Post by omegamike »

The trouble is that it's only detectorists complaining. The government, EU, local authorities etc are the ones promoting it's use! we have two hopes of stoping this..... No hope and Bob Hope. Sorry to hear it spoiled your day, better luck next time.
Swing till you drop...... if in doubt - DIG IT!!

liz

Post by liz »

omegamike wrote:The trouble is that it's only detectorists complaining. The government, EU, local authorities etc are the ones promoting it's use! we have two hopes of stoping this..... No hope and Bob Hope. Sorry to hear it spoiled your day, better luck next time.

I am not a detectorist complaining. I've got my..housewives 'at...on, I always go from the food angle, they have to act on that, I have always thought that is the best way forward, as detectorists we will get the same result.

omegamike
Main Detector: Minelab GPX4800

Post by omegamike »

Nothing wrong with complaining Liz but to be honest I don't think we will get anywhere complaining because we are a minuscule minority. I put my name down on the petition just incase lol
Swing till you drop...... if in doubt - DIG IT!!

liz

Post by liz »

omegamike wrote: to be honest I don't think we will get anywhere complaining because we are a minuscule minority.
Couldn't agree more, as detectorists we are only a tiny bunch of hobbyists, however we all eat! So food angle it is for me, just imagine what all the "foodies" of the world would say if they thought their food was grown in that toxic rubbish.As teccys we gain in the long term.

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

liz wrote:I would like to see a map of affected areas...no I am not saying we need exact fields....just a very, very rough idea, I think there are some may be just some cowboy operators. My example of a map would be....that I haven't seen any in Rutland, but I have come across it in North Northamptonshire, just a vague map just to show where is affected, to see if there is a pattern.
Maybe if we named Parishes Liz?
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Brianmo
Site Owner and Creator
Site Owner and Creator

Post by Brianmo »

I'm gonna have to move this thread into discussions cos every post is needing approval !! :g44:
From Brian & Mo' Cross
Creators of UK DETECTOR NET FORUM
http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk

liz

Post by liz »

PhilD wrote:Maybe if we named Parishes Liz?
No sorry Phil, I don't think we need to be at all precise, just North, South of the county or whatever, I think that would give us an outline and probably point the finger at certain depots, or whatever.

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

It makes me mad to read this Dave. :g44: It will get worse and worse. The problem is that very few detectorists want to do anything about it.

I mean if we all contact our MP's - 650 and we all signed the petition (and family) and we all emailed Tesco and the likes - things would be done. But most can't be bothered, even though it will cost them absolutely ZILCH.

I was even thinking of contacting a few manufacturers and seeing if they could sponsor a few letters to farmers etc. but to be honest when we only have 17 detectorists contacting MPS - out of 650, and we are 3 months into the campaign, I'm wondering if it is worth the effort.

To those who have done their bit - well done!! To those who haven't - why haven't you? Not only history being destroyed but nature and also our food supply.

Not sure who I'm more mad at, those who are contaminating our land, or those who are so blasé about it, they need a rocket up their behind.
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

Brianmo
Site Owner and Creator
Site Owner and Creator

Post by Brianmo »

Just had a letter from derek Twigg who has written to James Paice MP, Minister of State, Dept of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Derek Twigg states
I have received the attached communication from Brian Cross.

You will see he isconcerned that farm land is being contaminated by green waste being spread on the land.

I would be grateful if you would respond to the issues raised by my constituent
It will be interesting to see whatcomes back in this case :g43:
From Brian & Mo' Cross
Creators of UK DETECTOR NET FORUM
http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

Those that don,t have it on their fields do not realise what an abomination this stuff is, I got home and I had some bits of blackened aluminium, copper wire, window frame latches, and brass ferules off drain rods, not thinking and being absolutely whacked from the gruelling day I threw all this shxxe over my back gate,intending to move it later, not even thinking of my new Jack Russell puppy :g43: she found some of it or all of it and chewed on it, and was sick all over her bedding :g44: so it is definitely toxic, thankfully she seems ok now. But what is it doing to farm animals and wildlife that are in contact with it on a regular basis, and what will it do to us when we start digesting it in our vegetables or meat???

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

And on Liz's point about where it is being spread, every time we have been on a dig in the York -Selby area we have come across field upon field of the stuff it must be covering most of North Yorkshire by now. Like one of the guys on the dig said these farmers are cutting off their noses to spite their face, they might be getting some sort of payment for using this stuff, but they also get a nice wad for a Sunday from detectorists and soon there will be nowhere for people to go, no one will be paying to struggle through all this contamination :g45:

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”