Green waste zero metal content official

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
Redfoot
meble kuchenne warszawa

Green waste zero metal content official

Post by Redfoot »

I have been in touch with DEFRA and the Environment Agency who have decided that DEFRA should respond and their reply is set out below, they would not be drawn on the build up of chemical residues from break down of paints and chemical residues being absorbed by crops which will see an increase in Human cancers in years to come the research information I sent them is being looked at/ however Green waste should contain ZERO ferrous, non ferrous and medical waste, so I would suggest you contact your permit holders Local Councils and MP's to tell them that DEFRA and the Enviroment Agency are not following their own rules and guidelines please feel free to quote the attached e-mail, the more that do it the better chance you have of saving our hobby and protecting yourself and family members of contracting cancer in the future. its up to you!

Our ref:DWOE367444/MS

4 February 2015

Dear Mr Lee,

Green waste and agricultural land

Thank you for your email of 13 January about green waste and agricultural land. I have been asked to reply.

The recovery and disposal of waste is subject to a system of environmental permitting, the principal aim of which is to protect human health and the environment. In England, applications for environmental permits for waste operations are determined by the Environment Agency under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010. The Environment Agency is also charged with carrying out inspection of permitted facilities and has a range of enforcement powers in the event of harm being caused to human health or the environment.

It is possible in limited instances to apply green waste directly to agricultural land, provided it is only plant tissue waste arising from garden and park waste. Such a waste should not contain ferrous, nonferrous or medical waste. The principle regulatory mechanism by which this can happen is under a Standard Rules SR2010No4 Mobile plant permit for landspreading. Further details on this permit can be found at: http://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio ... -spreading

It is more typical for green waste (including the above mentioned plant tissue and other source segregated biodegradable wastes) to be subjected to a treatment process before being applied to agricultural land. This is typically an aerobic treatment process to produce compost from source segregated biodegradable waste. The treatment process will be subject to regulatory control by the Environment Agency under The Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010. An example of regulatory controls for composting can be found at: http://www.gov.uk/government/collection ... t-of-waste.

The above regulatory mechanism on the treatment of green waste provides a control on the inputs which can go into the composting process. This minimises and controls against the input of ferrous, nonferrous and medical waste. For example, such wastes are not associated with, and so should not be accepted by, an operator who is permitted to treat source segregated biodegradable wastes. Source segregated biodegradable wastes are the only waste inputs allowed into a compost that is intended for spreading onto agricultural land. The Environment Agency is responsible for assessing compliance of an operator’s waste treatment process as detailed in their permit.

The resulting compost, if a waste, can potentially be applied to agricultural land under a Standard Rules SR2010No4 Mobile Plant permit for landspreading. Operators holding a SR2010No4 permit and wishing to spread either plant tissue waste or waste compost from source segregated biodegradable waste have to apply to the Environment Agency for a deployment. This provides the Environment Agency with an assessment of the proposed spreading activity. The Environment Agency has to approve the deployment before the spreading can proceed. The Environment Agency will not approve a deployment if there is reason to believe the waste contains unacceptable inputs (such as medical waste) or contaminants such that it cannot be beneficially spread to land. Environment Agency Guidance on the process of agreeing a deployment can be found in ‘How to comply with your landspreading permit’, TGN EPER 8.01, Version 2, February 2013: http://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio ... l-guidance

The guidance contains advice on minimising the presence of physical, chemical or biological contaminants in compost (for example on pages 110 to 116). More generally, the guidance covers how the Environment Agency assesses the impact of storage and spreading of waste on a site. The impact must be assessed for all sensitive receptors including harm to humans and the activity must not pose a risk to water, air, soil, plants or animals; cause nuisance through noise or odours; or adversely affect the countryside or sites of special interest.

Yours sincerely,

Murry Santry
Defra - Customer Contact Unit

The peron you need to ask about Green Waste and the lack of monitoring is of course the minister responsible and here is her e-mail address be polite and ask her why she is ignoring her own departments zero ferrous non ferrous and clinical waste and will she suspend all dumping until the licensed contracors put in place an auditable quality assurance measures to attain the zero level of metal content in all composted materials to be sold or provided to farmers for spreading on agricultural farm land, also ask her if her department and the Environment Agency will be paying for a clean up of the pollution they have caused or allowed to take place.

You can copy and paste this if you like send it to elizabeth.truss.mp@parliament.uk

(Cut and paste 3 clicks of your mouse can save our hobby simples its over to you)

Boy Blue
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Green waste zero metal content official

Post by Boy Blue »

Hi All
Just got back from my meeting with Clive Betts MP.
He agrees that Green Waste containing unallowed material is Clearly Breaking the Law - He is writing to Environment Agency asking - What have they got in place to Police the matter.
He will send me a copy of the letter he writes to them and Their reply, Which I will post on Here if thats ok .
I will then decide where to go from there.
There may be a need to get some High Profile Environmentalists on board - which I think I can do.
KEEP WATCHING THIS THREAD

Brianmo
Site Owner and Creator
Site Owner and Creator
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Brianmo »

It's about time this topic was sorted, it's such a big issue for detectorists. Good work Redfoot and Boy Blue :g58: :g50:
From Brian & Mo' Cross
Creators of UK DETECTOR NET FORUM
http://www.forumukdetectornet.co.uk

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

Well done to the both of you.. :g50: :g38:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

baza
UKDN Supporter - Silver
UKDN Supporter - Silver

Post by baza »

i was on one of my permissions on saturday in worcester, the farmer has just started spreading the first loads of a 1000 ton contract, i tried pointing out to him it was full of contaminants plastic, foil, aluminium, copper he just didnt seem bothered, all he could say was how well his crops will grow and that the environmental gye had passed it ok for spreading, ive took a few pictures but who would i contact to complain to about this the field is now impossible to detect i dont think they realise the long term effect it will have on the land for years to come
is there any chance you could email a copy of your reply from defra so i can print it off so i can show it to the land owner chears baza

Redfoot

Post by Redfoot »

One of my farmers has been spreading ot on one of his farmers its his 5th year now, he told me crop yields are down and he is having to spread manure mixed with green waste to try and get the yields back up, he also said whole areas of his fields fail to germinate something he has not suffered before, this further reduces yields from his fields, You can complain to DEFRA and the Evironment Agency they have the legal responsibility to resolve pollution incidents

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”