Pilgrim ampullas......a request

A section created specifically for on-going metal detecting-based research
projects. Please do not start a new thread unless it is specifically related to a topic.
tomredmayne
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Déus

Re: Pilgrim ampullas......a request

Post by tomredmayne »

Thanks Garry...it's certainly one of those I am researching..................... :g50:

Self-recording with the PAS, it's worth the effort.........MY RECORDS

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

tomredmayne
Main Detector: XP Déus

Post by tomredmayne »

Steve Rice wrote:
tomredmayne wrote:Have to be a member to see it Garry..................don't think I'd be welcomed somehow............. :g42:
Kev Woodward and Cori go on there quite regularly. I know many others do too. :g50: Just sign up Tom. Time of good will and all that. You'd be more than welcome. :107:
Thanks Steve.........we'll see............ :D

Self-recording with the PAS, it's worth the effort.........MY RECORDS

DISC ON PIN BUCKLES

paulh

Post by paulh »

:g64: Hi Tom, just noticed this old thread lol, and thought I'd mention a theory I've had since finding one about 5 years ago, I've always been a little sceptical about the so called scallop shape of the vessel as it bears no relation to the supposed use of carrying and releasing holy water as an offering for a good crop, and the radiating lines of a shell all come from a central point, unlike the ampulla.

Surely it is more likely they are depicted upside down and that the vessel is actually a wheat sheaf, the thread used to attach to clothing through the lugs would mimic the wrapping of the sheaf with straw.

The bottom of the vessel would be chopped off and planted upright for the water to drain into the soil to work its magic and the ampulla would stand upright amongst the sheaf's in the field awaiting their collection.

Just a thought as you may be looking at your insignia upside down. :g58:

Return to “On-Going Research Projects”