Treasure cases

Place your useful websites in the right categories please
silversimon
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Goldmaxx/ETRAC

Treasure cases

Post by silversimon »

While at the last two club meetings two friends who had found treasure cases, did there bit by sending them off for recording to see if they were treasure..both were treasure cases...and both got there 1st valuations sent to them..I was gob smacked to be honest not surprised at all...to here what they were valued at.....The first find was a early 17th century finger ring, made from solid silver and covered in gold gilt decorated in a fish scale pattern, a large heavy ring dating to around the English civil war period. It was complete apart from the solder where it was joined had cracked and come apart..so really was a full complete ring and could be easily restored..This was valued at £15 as a fragment. I had seen a very similar ring in 1996 fetch 600+..The other artefact was a 22ct gold medieval Fede ring brooch (clasp hands) complete with pin and with inscriptions..and it was in perfect condition..this was valued at £300 again in 1996-7 there were two valued at £600 - £800 both were exactly the same, one was plain and not as good...it seems this is happening more and more to detectorist.. I informed them both to ask for a re-valuation and get there own private valuations.. I know for most its not about money but at the end of the day these artefact do mean allot to the finders and they should get the full market valuation not a hand out.. The finger ring split two ways lol.......the farmer will think he was taking the P--- :g44:
Attachments
j1.jpg
j1.jpg (122.18 KiB) Viewed 7925 times
j2.jpg
j2.jpg (161.47 KiB) Viewed 7925 times
BELIEVING IS NOT ENOUGH, YOU MUST ASK !
AND I SAY UNTO YOU, ASK AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN YOU;
SEEK, AND YE SHALL FIND; KNOCK, AND IT SHALL BE OPENED UNTO YOU. FOR EVERY ONE THAT ASKETH RECEIVETH; AND HE THAT SEEKETH FINDETH.

ScotsmanInKent
Main Detector: Deeptech Vista

Re: Treasure cases

Post by ScotsmanInKent »

Hi Mate

My wife buys and sells antique jewellery.
she says, because of the fede hands and inscription and 22c gold this is valuable, to a collector up to two grand.
about 800 as a simple annular one without the hands.
I think the so called museum experts have no idea about real auction values in a competitive market.
2014 Finds:
11 hammered
3milled silver
3 Jetton

Puffin
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

Guys we never discus values on UKDN, a simple rule, because whatever number is discussed is never right in the long run.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

Two lovely wonderful finds :g58: :g50:

bryan162
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by bryan162 »

I've had values go both ways, initial valuation by museum which was low gets increased by treasure committee and a high initial valuation gets reduced by the committee.
have never argued on a valuation any reward you receives just a bonus to the thrill of finding something of historical importance.
Hammereds 2012 (44)
Roman 2012 (33)

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

bryan162 wrote:I've had values go both ways, initial valuation by museum which was low gets increased by treasure committee and a high initial valuation gets reduced by the committee.
have never argued on a valuation any reward you receives just a bonus to the thrill of finding something of historical importance.
Spot on. :g50:

Unfortunately many don`t understand the system and how it works. They take the provisional valuation as gospel & get all uppity about it.
Have a read of the documents here... http://www.ncmd.co.uk/tvc.htm

shaughnt
Main Detector: CTX 3030

Post by shaughnt »

There is nothing wrong in getting Independent valuations done with 2 reputable outlets and if they are at odds with the TVC valuation , asking the TVC to take these into account. You are allowed to challenge the initial figure.
I started out with Nothing, And I still got most of it left.

Cheers, Shaughn.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

shaughnt wrote:There is nothing wrong in getting Independent valuations done with 2 reputable outlets and if they are at odds with the TVC valuation , asking the TVC to take these into account. You are allowed to challenge the initial figure.
This is also true! :g50:

Return to “Artefacts (Metal)”