Notching out green waste?

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

Notching out green waste?

Post by Donnydave »

I thought I would try notching out aluminium and foil on my Deus, in two segments, but it also notched out hammered coins and gold rings, and probably a lot more as well? I am worried that the harm has already been done on a lot of fields especially in North Yorkshire in the York area? There is a vast area covered in this stuff and once spread it is there for ever. Anybody that detects in these contaminated areas I suggest you take along a couple of carrier bags and just cover small areas and try and remove as much as possible, but then we have the problem of what to do with it? because if you take it home and put it in the bin it will no doubt find its way back on a field somewhere? At the moment a lot is still near the surface but in a couple of years it will find its way deeper and deeper making it harder and more frustrating to remove?

the barnacle
UKDN Supporter - Platinum
Main Detector: Deus

Re: Notching out green waste?

Post by the barnacle »

i am suprised dave that no one from the area had tried to get it stopped before it went so far, more and more land is covered every day and before you know it every field in every area will be ruined.

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

The other problem Dave is that assuming a contamination rate of 5%-10% on a 50 tonne load. That is between 2.5 and 5 tonne of junk. Like filling 1/2 a skip..............................and then the next load comes. :g48:
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

the barnacle

Post by the barnacle »

problem is also - whatever happens now or whatever you do, the waste can not be removed, detectorists should be doing more while some fields are still ok.

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

the barnacle wrote:problem is also - whatever happens now or whatever you do, the waste can not be removed, detectorists should be doing more while some fields are still ok.
That is what I was saying, and the only place it can be removed is at the source where it is supposedly composted, but composted means rotted down, this is going on just being ground up? if it was properly composted it could be finely riddled and all the metals and foil removed :g43:

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

We have a very good AS/Early medi site (the IKEA field) that has contamination from mashed MDF. The attack plan is just to detect it and play the odds game.... its around 70 or 80/1 ratio for a "find" to crap score.

Work towards a more focused effort is on the Agenda for the NCMD meeting on Sunday. A document has been prepared for presentation to SARA (Sport & Recreation Alliance) who will pass on to HMG. http://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk/ab ... n-alliance

the barnacle

Post by the barnacle »

jcmaloney wrote:We have a very good AS/Early medi site (the IKEA field) that has contamination from mashed MDF. The attack plan is just to detect it and play the odds game.... its around 70 or 80/1 ratio for a "find" to crap score.

Work towards a more focused effort is on the Agenda for the NCMD meeting on Sunday. A document has been prepared for presentation to SARA (Sport & Recreation Alliance) who will pass on to HMG. http://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk/ab ... n-alliance
good work jc :g38: :g50: :g25:

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Not taking the credit for it, just informing as reps do :g62: ....... a number of people have been pushing it up the agenda ( John W, Ken W and most of the comittee!) and yourself & Steve have certainly put a ton of effort in :g38: :g38: now all it takes is to get EVERYONE off their ar*es and writing/e-mailing, signing the petition etc and some real momentum can get going.

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

I've just done some air tests Dave on the CGW I found yesterday doing the survey with my T2.

Some of the little stuff's conductivity was 48, 52 and 53, and the big stuff 89, 91,92 and 93.

So discing 0 to 55 (rock, iron and foil) and ignoring signals over 88 might help a bit.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

PhilD wrote:I've just done some air tests Dave on the CGW I found yesterday doing the survey with my T2.

Some of the little stuff's conductivity was 48, 52 and 53, and the big stuff 89, 91,92 and 93.

So discing 0 to 55 (rock, iron and foil) and ignoring signals over 88 might help a bit.
I will give that a try if I am unlucky enough to get on another contaminated field :g58: :g50:

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”