Beyond Gutted...

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
blue_yeti
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Deus

Beyond Gutted...

Post by blue_yeti »

So me and Harpoon set for a great days detecting. Probably our very best field was rolled and ready and we had waited for it to be perfect so we could enjoy the day to the max.

We walk out to our favourite starting point a tree in the middle and note a broom head sticking out of the ground. 'Wasnt there last year' comments Dave 'must have been turned a little deeper than we thought'... Then the plastic sticking out of the ground, bottles visible and it started to dawn on us... Turning the machines on just caused a crazed beeping as the Deus went wild... A massive adjustment to the discrim and sens meant it was workable but now littered with silver paper, food wrappers, burnt junk, tarpaulin rings and every associated piece of crap you could possibly imagine.

It is our worst nightmare, a field we have meticulously 'cleaned' taking every piece of junk with us for over 10 years, it was at the point where every signal is a missed one and gets you fired up, sadly no more.

We were to depressed and put off by the smell to carry on.

The question now is can we go back with a mind set knowing whats coming and give it two hours at a time to start clearing it again, hoping that a smattering of finds whilst doing so will keep our spirits up or do we ignore until after the next turn of the plough, which I fear will make it worse and break some of the big cans and cat food wrappers into smaller and more numerous bits, is it now or never for trying to 'clean it up'?

The bit I don't get is we have so many eco rules and taxes and yet mass spreading of rubbish is fine!!?? Why don't we just take our own household waste out and throw it in the fields and rivers seeing as that is where it appears to be ending up, indeed much of the rubbish appeared to come from overseas as the pet food was for German brands I hadnt seen here.

I would never dream of drinking my can of drink and throwing it mindlessly in the field, but that is exactly what has happened on a massive scale, just cannot be right. We almost felt sorry for the field itself. Generations of people since Celtic times had all left their mark here, by way of pottery and losses in the sandy soil on a hill overlooking the valley. Our generation have left it looking like a brown field tip, an eyesore, littering the general area as the plastic blew around in the wind...

Awful plain awful, appears environmental rules are all well and good for politicians to preach about at election time, but in reality whilst you can be fined for dropping a can in the street, spreading tons of household garbarge over 100 acres is just peachy.

Apologies for rant, I will get off my soap box now.

BY
My Hammered Score, 341 not out (yet)

Proud member of Legenda- recovering Missing in Action soldiers on the Eastern Front

Dig out those early military and militia buttons and record them at https://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons

Hawkstone
Main Detector: T2

Re: Beyond Gutted...

Post by Hawkstone »

Truly sickening, whichever way you look at it.
:g48: :g48: :g48:
''Gee my life's a funny thing, am i still too young ?''

tadmark
Main Detector: euroace

Post by tadmark »

Truly apalling, words fail me when i think what ******* idiot decided this green waste was a good idea :g44: :g6:

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

Very disappointing. There will be those in some quarters who will be cheering and laughing (in Eastern Europe no doubt ?), but this affects the archaeologists too. :g51:
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

The sad thing is BY that this WILL happen to all of us and yet only a few hundred of us could be bothered signing a petition. If each detectorist and their families signed the petition and each contacted their MP this would be given high priority but 'we' won't until it affects us - and this will continue.

There is only so much a small committee on the NCMD and a few others can do.

My rant over.
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

blue_yeti
Main Detector: Deus

Post by blue_yeti »

Yes Steve completely agree and pleased to say I signed long ago before it affected me. If my story helps make anyone else realise its out there and could be waiting for you on your next trip out then my rant has served some kind of purpose...

Now where's that beer...

BY
My Hammered Score, 341 not out (yet)

Proud member of Legenda- recovering Missing in Action soldiers on the Eastern Front

Dig out those early military and militia buttons and record them at https://asahelena.wixsite.com/militarybuttons

Desbold
Main Detector: Teknetics T2SE

Post by Desbold »

Perhaps it is the land owners who should be targeted and educated. If it wasn't for them agreeing to take the wretched stuff, the government would have to find somewhere else to put it.
Give a little more, take a little less and make the world a better place.

-----------------
Teknetics T2 SE
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Whatever Spade is to Hand
Size 14 Boots
Dodgy Pair of Eyes

harpoon

Post by harpoon »

Well said mate.
I felt a deep deep sadness seeing that wonderfull field looking like a tip, its given us so much over the years.
natrually it is a massive blow as a detectorist but surley no descent person detectorist or not could agree with this its absolute madness & a very serious problem for our wonderful hobby, I think we owe it to the field to get back in there and take as much crap out as possible before it all gets ploughed in:g44:

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

blue_yeti wrote:Yes Steve completely agree and pleased to say I signed long ago before it affected me.
I know you did mate which makes it even more maddening. :g44:
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

1.Take a pile of the crud to the farmer. You might be suprised by their reaction.
2.Ring the Environment Agency. Risk of alienating farmer....recommend 1 first!

Spreading the word and showing the farmers what is in it is the way forward in my honest opinion........ when they see a truckload being tipped they don`t see whats in it but I have found they do care.

Barbados_Rum
UKDN Supporter and Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: XP Deus V5.21

Post by Barbados_Rum »

I have secured permission on some superb land with masses of BA, IA and Roman history.

This is a field I know that has produced hundreds of Roman items in ONE visit on a rally!
Got there...... looked like I's arrived at our local land fill site :g44: :g48:
We gave it 10 minutes and gave up!

Paul
.....If it's undetectable..... it's not there!

Visit our Blogs:
http://www.recoveryofhistory.com/

arfrape
UKDN Valued Supporter
UKDN Valued Supporter
Main Detector: Deus V4

Post by arfrape »

i truely feel your pain as i have had 2 excellent fields ruined by this rubbish, very sad to hear. I know some farmers who won't touch it but unfortunately these are becoming the minority. I have collected some up to show a farmer but was at a loss when he said it was actually very good for his crop :g40:

popsandme
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

gutted for you mate...dont know what else to say.
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

maybe its done on purpose to block out detectorists ?

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

So sorry for you BY... :g51: :g44:
Steve Rice wrote:The sad thing is BY that this WILL happen to all of us and yet only a few hundred of us could be bothered signing a petition. If each detectorist and their families signed the petition and each contacted their MP this would be given high priority but 'we' won't until it affects us - and this will continue.

There is only so much a small committee on the NCMD and a few others can do.
Too true Steve, too true buddy... Only 392 petition signatures to date...
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”