Am I doing it right?

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
mikeyb78
meble kuchenne warszawa

Am I doing it right?

Post by mikeyb78 »

Hi Everyone, Just wondering if I'm doing things correctly as I'm new to the Hobby. There are no Metal Detecting Clubs in Warrington, my nearest is Widnes but they aren't taking on new members at the moment. So I have joined the NCMD independently so I have my liability insurance. Got my Crown Estate Permit, and spent about an hour on the phone to Vanessa Oakden the Finds Liaison Officer for Cheshire so I know exactly what to report. And I have got permission to detect off one of my Parish Councils so far as I want to be a conscientious detector. So whilst I am detecting I am digging every signal at the moment as its the only way I know how to learn. I only have a cheap £50 detector at the moment as I cant afford £150 - £200 just before xmas. I have been out this weekend and found:-

38p in 2p's and 1p's
8 drink cans
16 nails
a toy car
a toy gun
a pair of glasses
8 pieces of scrap metal
2 door hinges
and a drill

Is this usual for a beginner or am I doing something wrong?

deepseeker
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Am I doing it right?

Post by deepseeker »

nothing wrong there Mikey, as you say the discrimination on your machine won't be up to much but it is finding something it's a start sometimes I go out and find nothing or a few things so 30 odd finds is good, what machine are you using?

keep at it the cream will come to the top eventually, I assume the land is pasture, if possible try to acquire some ploughed land when you upgrade
sent from my PC using the keyboard

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

mikeyb78

Post by mikeyb78 »

Hi It just says light weight discriminating metal detector on the box. No one is willing to admit making it haha. But I have just got permission for a new area that I'll take my son too at the weekend. I'm quite excited as it used to have a Victorian Farm there until it was made in to a picnic area 7 years ago.

deepseeker
UKDN Supporter - Diamond
UKDN Supporter - Diamond

Post by deepseeker »

Picnic area !! could be a ring pull mine .. keep going
sent from my PC using the keyboard

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

Old Git John
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Platinum Supporter
Main Detector: SIMPLEX

Post by Old Git John »

Mike, no matter how long we have been detecting, we still find these things, and there is nothing wrong with doing so.

What you need to do is to learn what the signal is telling you, without having to look at the meter, and when you get a signal, try to pinpoint it, dig it, and decide whether or not you want to dig more of them.

Afrer a while you will know when to dig, or when to walk on. You are not making a fool of yourself, but merely learning what your detector is telling you.
I used to have an issue regarding having an inferiority complex, I no longer have an issue with being inferior.

mikeyb78

Post by mikeyb78 »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Been out again today back in now because its freezing, but really enjoyed myself today found a half penny 1951 well chuffed, first coin older than me :) 2 x 1p's 8 beer bottle caps and a metal bar

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

We all started where you are once, and the more you dig, the more you learn in so many ways. My advice to you is to keep searching. More permission to search is vital, so don't be put off if you get a few no's, you will get a yes eventually. And then the fun really begins!! :g50:
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter

Post by Donnydave »

The items you are finding are what you are bound to find with any detector, you will want to progress to a better detector before long, in fact you could have got a half decent detector for £50 secondhand.
When you do get a better detector or if you decide to stick with what you have got, you will still need to find the cans and toys etc, to be able to find the smaller deeper stuff. We have acquired permission on fields in good historical areas, but the modern stuff is there hiding the ancient items, if you go over an aluminium can, a large piece of roofing lead or a Victorian gas tap that is what your detector will beep at first, but after awhile you will think your field is empty but listen for those quiet positive signals and you will be amazed what is on there.

meandmydreams
Main Detector: Deus and GMP

Post by meandmydreams »

Welcome to the hobby and well done on your approach to responsible detecting. :g38:
It,s worth keeping in with the Parish Council as they will know your local farmers well and may even be their landlords. You have bought a fairly basic machine which is fine as you are learning all about the hobby at the moment. If you get the bug, I expect you will move up the range of detectors soon enough.
It's important to remember that all of us start off at the bottom and it is the time in the field that gets the results as well as a sprinkling of good luck.
I look forward to following your finds on here and just ask if you need any help or advice.

Clive
This is a link to my publicly available finds on the PAS Database http://finds.org.uk/database/search/res ... 1B63D0139E

mikeyb78

Post by mikeyb78 »

Just been researching the half penny I found cant believe the prices some coins go for I didn't realise. I've been reading a few sites and the Ace 250 seems like a popular beginners/intermediate detector. But as you all have the experience what would you recommend? it has to be easy to use. Planning on getting it in January kids come first at Xmas I get slippers haha (hopefully Jan sales discount) max spend £200

nomis
Main Detector: Garrett

Post by nomis »

hi mikey ....im new to the forum and detecting .. so i hope im ok to put this up. the ace 250 is a good machine mate ...i have the euro ace and had
many good finds....but my friend has just brought the eurotec pro with the 11" coil at £259 and i was amazed at how good this machine was
its got good depth and good iron discrim on it .....if you can hold out till you have the extra 60 quid id advise you do mate.

kbarker

Post by kbarker »

Don't give up to soon I found my first gold ring in a park and every body told me I there would be nothing there

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”