Beyond Gutted...

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Beyond Gutted...

Post by Donnydave »

That is sickening :g44: we have had two club digs recently that where spoilt by this crap, and another in Sheffield called off because the dig organiser checked it out and that was also covered in it? It is beyond belief that we now have thousands of dedicated detectorists but only a few hundred bothered signing :g43: And I also believe someone who is against detecting is behind this :g58: if you can,t beat them with fair means we will beat them with foul springs to mind :g51:

rodp

Post by rodp »

A few toxic samples taken would probably put a stop to it, short term at least, so keep your eyes open for stuff that shouldn't be there :g62:

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

just have to stick with pasture that hasnt been polluted with green rubbish otherwise you are wasting your time

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

personally i blame the TV progs that have exposed the business on valuable artifacts being found, and the public think its common to make them ,so you now see a fouling up of the matrix.
a lot may be put down to envy ,so they throw a spanner in the works .

rodp

Post by rodp »

Don't you think it's more likely that somewhere down the line the farmer is making money out of it ? I know some have to pay for it to be dropped but is that cheaper than the fertilizer it replaces, and can they claim a grant for it?
We think of farms as lovely green open spaces but in reality they're just another business to the farmer, it has to show profit.

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

ageezer wrote:just have to stick with pasture that hasnt been polluted with green rubbish otherwise you are wasting your time
That idea don't work buddy I have had three pasture permissions with this crap spread on it... You can see it lying on the surface... :g44: :g51: :tears:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

trigger
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze

Post by trigger »

I tell all my farmers about the crap that is being spread on fields on other farms,and they ain't impressed .
Just got to keep spreading the word.
Don't forget. They see all their farming mates at the cattle markets etc.
It's a wonder the paper, Farmers Weekly has not done a full story on this stuff yet,or countryfile :g43:

Donnydave
Main Detector: XP Deus

Post by Donnydave »

I think if the truth is known this is actually illegal dumping :g43: did not one company get a fine for spreading this stuff? it is supposed to have all the metal and crap filtered out before it gets to the fields but some recycling firms find it makes more money just grinding it up and selling it on :g44:

Puffin
Main Detector: Mark one gray matter

Post by Puffin »

One of our farmers spread some used cattle bedding on one of our better fields. Fair enough, should be rich in plant food. However, it was minced Ikea waste, full of the flat pack connecters, fist size lumps of heavy ali, not good at all. Farmers are using this for animal bedding and not realising just what it contains. When he saw the scrap bucket he was not very impressed at all.
Deus, XP GMP, CS 4Pi, Canon 450d, Garmin GPS, PAS Self Recorder.
Hamster Count 55. Then so far this year 0 to the Deus.
Denarius Count 7. Then so far this year 0.

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

We tend to forget ,as Puffin points out, the farmers don`t "see" what is in the mashed MDF....I showed one of ours the scrap and he returned the next load.
Furthermore there is an allowance of "non degradable" product in the compost mixes....something like 0.01% which doesn`t sound much but in load of tens of tons is a lot of scrap.

People who believe this stuff is being spread as an "anti detecting" measure are living in cloud cuckoo land. Its purely a cost saving measure to negate landfill tax, provide it at low cost or free to Farmers as PAS100 approved compost......job done.

SHOW THEM WHATS IN IT.....FARMERS CARE ABOUT THEIR LAND!!!

teddymouse
Main Detector: Gretton 250ace

Post by teddymouse »

jcmaloney wrote:We tend to forget ,as Puffin points out, the farmers don`t "see" what is in the mashed MDF....I showed one of ours the scrap and he returned the next load.
Furthermore there is an allowance of "non degradable" product in the compost mixes....something like 0.01% which doesn`t sound much but in load of tens of tons is a lot of scrap.

People who believe this stuff is being spread as an "anti detecting" measure are living in cloud cuckoo land. Its purely a cost saving measure to negate landfill tax, provide it at low cost or free to Farmers as PAS100 approved compost......job done.

SHOW THEM WHATS IN IT.....FARMERS CARE ABOUT THEIR LAND!!!
I have spent all my life in farming, and yes if a farmer can find a cheaper or free alternative to expensive chemical fertilisers, he will.but if he as knowledge of the crap that's In this green waste, he wouldn't use it as after ceral crops they let their stock animals onto the land.and believe me no farmer worth his salt, wants their animals eating this waste, as the loss and cost though vets. Fees,out weights the small benefits. So I would show the farmer what's been added to his soil. Write a letter to the farmers weekly, horse and hound weekly,telling them what you are finding ,that way you are getting your finding and concerns to the people that can do something about it.

IronRon
UKDN Silver Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Silver Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by IronRon »

Desbold wrote:Perhaps it is the land owners who should be targeted and educated. If it wasn't for them agreeing to take the wretched stuff, the government would have to find somewhere else to put it.
I rang my local farmer who was doing exactly this because it was adjacent to my house, his answer was...mind your own business.

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”