More to it than meets the eye

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Mr daydream
meble kuchenne warszawa

More to it than meets the eye

Post by Mr daydream »

Hi everyone , iv'e wanted to get into detecting for quite some time and only decided recently to take the plunge. iv'e spent the last week browsing some forums and trying to gather as much info as possible while deciding on which detector to buy and Iv'e acquired my permit from the Crown Estate Foreshore and now i'm looking into what permission's i would need to go onto land and detect, I have vast fields and woods around me, miles upon miles i can walk.

I'm wondering if i would need permission to go detecting in these areas, i suppose i would need permission from my local council ? We have lot's of ruins around my area i believe they are British heritage so again i would need my council's permission to detect around these areas ? Is it easy to get permission to go detecting from your local council.

Thanks everyone, just want to make sure i do it correctly when i venture out for my 1st attempt.

Happy hunting :g50:

PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Re: More to it than meets the eye

Post by PhilD »

Welcome aboard :g32: , there's quite a learning curve.

You will need permission off the landowner wherever you detect.

It's well worth joining a club if there is one nearby.

There's lots of info in the guide below;

http://atoz.forumukdetectornet.co.uk/UK ... 0Guide.pdf
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

Thanks very much ill have a good read through all that later .

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

Welcoming me aboard mate.....what ever you do make sure them "ruin" aint sheduled monuments as detecting within the boundries of the sheduled area is an absolute no no!
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

If nothing else i'm certainly going to learn a whole bunch more about the history of my area finding all this out :D I take it castle grounds and old war bunkers and tunnels come under this scheduled monuments thingy ?

My first outing will be down around camber sands area on the beaches i think, my old mans having a week down there for a little break so i said id accompany the old fella as he's not to mobile nowadays. And i decided to purchase a detector for that break to have something to spend my time on while there although iv'e long thought about picking it up as a hobby. Ill have to really look into these other places before venturing on to them ill stick to beaches and some farms plus my allotment for now

:superhappy: .

popsandme
Main Detector: Nox 800

Post by popsandme »

Have a search here to check out scheduled monuments in your prefered search area.
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/car ... monuments/
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

Much appreciated.

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

To just go over the obvious, you need permission to search anywhere that is not your land, and with that in mind, a local club may be a good place to get some advice and who knows, a bit of club land to detect? Hope this helps? :g50:
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

I got my crown estate permit all printed out for the beaches yesterday and i have a'lot of farm land around my area , which is lucky as i have no transport at the moment. so i'm hoping some of the land owners will be willing to allow me the use of there land, Iv'e also been in contact with my local council about what land if any around my area i would be able to access.

Ill most likely look into the clubs at a later date (don't want to look a wolly) :hahaha: I was the same when i took up fishing, don't want to jump in at the deep end and start casting out next to some other poor soul. The community does seem to be a nice and helpful one though. I also love the idea of recording all the finds it adds an extra aspect to the hobby as'well as the research and actual detecting. The more i look into it the more i like. Thanks for the help and advise. Ill post some pics when i make my first venture out , i feel like a kid at Christmas again can't wait to get going. :g46: :g42:
Last edited by Mr daydream on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deetektor
UKDN Gold Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by Deetektor »

bodvoc wrote:To just go over the obvious, you need permission to search anywhere that is not your land, and with that in mind, a local club may be a good place to get some advice and who knows, a bit of club land to detect? Hope this helps? :g50:
Yes, all land belongs to someone. Even so called "Common Land".
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

Oh i was going to get a garret 150 but i decided to wait a week and spend the extra £40 to get the 250, got my rain cover shovel the pic and trowel combo thingy and sifter all ordered already. :g42:

Deetektor

Post by Deetektor »

Just be aware that the pinpoint centre, isn't in the middle of the coil on the 250.
It's about three inches forward.
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

Thanks :D i been watching lots of vids on youtube, i keep changing my mind, now i'm thinking of the euro ace or 250 sports deluxe pack. Will the 250 do a good job for me as a beginner ? All the videos i have watched on the 250 seem to suggest it's a good all round machine and will be more than adequate for my needs what's your opinion please. Thanks again.

Deetektor

Post by Deetektor »

Nothing at all wrong with the 250. I used one for a while, which is now gathering dust in the garage.
They are a very good machine. Of course you can always "spend a bit more" and get something a little better, or buy second hand. But if you want a new detector and the 250 comes within your budget, I'd go for it. Don't get talked into getting the larger coil for it. In my experience, it's a waste of money
Support the PAS
You know it makes sense

Teknetics T2
XP Goldmaxx Power

Mr daydream

Post by Mr daydream »

Ok thanks a'lot i'm just getting a bit carried away with how deep they will detect. I think ill go with the 250 it seems to be more than enough for my needs.

cheers. :g50:

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”