Revealing/Preserving the Image on Coins

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Wigeon
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: E-Trac

Revealing/Preserving the Image on Coins

Post by Wigeon »

I am currently investigating a fen edge field, where local tradition says the Militia garrison from a nearby Napoleonic prisoner of war camp, used for musketry practice.
The farmer has picked up 100+ musket balls over the years and I have collected another 100+ recently. They are all the same calibre (.69) so right for the Brown Bess. A local archaeologist is helping me plot the finds as there is a distinct pattern, which may be significant.
I have found several copper coins but only two of them have any image left at all. The peat soil is acidic and very harsh on copper coins. The two are barely discernible as George III halfpennies, one of which I think is 1806.
I can only see the image when the coins are wetted to a particular extent. As soon as dry, they just look like dark brown metal discs. I have cleaned them with water and a soft tooth brush only.
Is there a way that I can get the image to stay visible ? I have read the section regarding do/don't use olive oil etc. and am a little confused.
Advice would be appreciated please.

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Re: Revealing/Preserving the Image on Coins

Post by dig-it-pete »

I don't think there is an awful lot you can do if they are that far gone - I use Renaissance wax on mine which helps bring out a bit more detail and also protects the coin from handling :g50:
Minelab Manticore

Wigeon
Main Detector: E-Trac

Post by Wigeon »

dig-it-pete wrote:I don't think there is an awful lot you can do if they are that far gone - I use Renaissance wax on mine which helps bring out a bit more detail and also protects the coin from handling :g50:
Thanks Pete. I have ordered a tin of Renaissance Wax as recommended.

Tony Miller
Main Detector: CTX3030

Post by Tony Miller »

I have given up trying to clean coppers and just put the in an empty quality street tin and much to the annoyance of Mrs Miller :g44: they just sit on the shelf in the office. :hahaha:
FUBAR

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

The soil tends to be pretty cruel to copper and bronze coins in most areas with the odd exception here and there. I did have a field many years ago that threw up some really nice, pure green bronze coins, and the occasional roman in pristine condition. But it is rare.
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

Graphite powder or graphite oil spray.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”