The Real Benefits Of Upgrading ?

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Wigeon
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: E-Trac

The Real Benefits Of Upgrading ?

Post by Wigeon »

I have an X-Terra 30 (owned since new in 2010) that had little use until this year. In recent months I have used it lots and learned its language reasonably well.

To my inexperienced eyes and ears, it seems a relatively straightforward machine, with excellent pinpoint on its concentric coil. It cannot support a different coil.

I have been looking at several videos etc. regarding the E-Trac. These and the Deus are clearly quite complex detectors that would take a lot of getting used to.

My question is: What are the real benefits of these complex and expensive machines ? If experienced members could put it in a nutshell, easily understood terms, it would help me cut through the marketing BS and technical jargon.

I am aware from other aspects of my interests, that getting that last tiny percentage of performance, can be very expensive. Whether it is worth it can depend upon the competence of the operator. However these advanced, expensive machines, seem to be in a completely different league to my machine.
Please tell me as it is. Thanks.

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Re: The Real Benefits Of Upgrading ?

Post by bodvoc »

I really wouldn't say that the deus is that complicated if you don't want it to be. Once you have selected the mode, the rest is pretty straightforward. I would say almost turn on and go.
I cannot speak for any other machine but of course, if you have good sites, then most machines should be perfectly able to find.
As i have already said, i cannot say about any other detector, but what i can say is that the deus is brilliant at picking up tiny, small and big coins and artefacts in iron infested soil.
It is light and functional, and when you get a little more Au fait with it, you can go beyond the factory pre-set options and set it up without needing to be a electronics genius to do it.
Onboard charging is great, if a little fiddly, but i guess, what you do have to get used to is the extra digging... I kid you not!
It is a seriously sensitive piece of kit, but it is very easy to use effectively.
Hope this helps!
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

jcmaloney
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor

Post by jcmaloney »

If you are used to a Terra 305 then try the Terra 705, its additional coils & capability will suit you well for sensible money as well. The 705 is a much under rated machine.
Stepping to a TRUE multi-frequency machine (E-Trac/CTX3030) will be both technically complex as will the step to a machine with multiple frequencies that need programming & tweaking (Deus).
Running a 705 vs an E-Trac vs a Deus in "factory presets" would probably see the 705 perform better.
The more complex machines WILL outperform the 705 with experience and adjustments....which can take the fun out of the hobby!!

topdog
Main Detector: xp deus

Post by topdog »

bite the bullet or at least find somebody with a Deus who will let you have an hour or two with one ..believe you me they are EXTREMELY good without the tweeks ,,my lad who borrowed mine and who runs nothing but the FAST program has in the past 2 years managed in excess of 400 hammered including a gold quarter noble 3 gold rings and countless milled silver.numerous artifacts and copper coins ...go for the deus lite ,, plus the fact they really are LIGHT ,your spade will weigh more

Owen williams422

Post by Owen williams422 »

Old topdog is correct u will see an obvious increase in your finds rate my detecting partner has an xterra 705 they are good but they do miss the small bits the deus finds everything

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

To be honest when I got back into detecting in 2014 after a 15 year break I did an awful lot of research on all of the detectors currently on the market and decided to go for the XP Deus, I had also just met up with topdog who had just bought one and I must say I was very impressed.

In the end the main reasons I went for the Deus is the fact that it is the lightest detector on the market with the 11" coil (I suffer from tennis elbow so needed a light machine to swing all day), it is also wireless which is a great innovation, no more snacked and broken wires. The machine was also developed in France for the European market (hammered silvers!!).
It is also an incredibly easy machine to set up.

Now after two years of using this machine I would not hesitate to recommend it. I have now found well over 250 hammered silvers with this machine and a lot of those are cut halves and cut quarters which are not the easiest of targets to find. It obviously helps to have some good sites!!

Good luck with your final choice and good hunting :g50:
Minelab Manticore

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

All this "I`ve found 400,250 however many hammereds" is all about the land.
If its not there no machine will find it.
I was considering what YOU are used too in terms of machine and your wallet balanced with enjoying the hobby. 705 new for £489 or new Deus with remote £1039.

More to detecting than hammereds! lol

Owen williams422

Post by Owen williams422 »

i thought a deus lite setup is around 730

topdog
Main Detector: xp deus

Post by topdog »

oops we are a teezy one jcm yes I agree its not all about finding those elusive hammys ..we also find where the roe deer are ...the kingfishers nest in the river bank ,,the old tree were the buzzard nests behind DIG IT PETES house ..the fox working the fields where we detect ;;the badger cubs scrapping outside the sett and I have been very lucky to see our local otter in our village brook . yes we are very lucky with our sites BUT we do have to work for what we find ,many is the time I have drawn a blank but the dogs been waiked so have I . fresh picked blackberries eaten straight off the bush...where the best crop of sloes are this year for the laying down of sloe gin . apples from the old orchard now wrapped in paper stored in the outhouse ...Nah its not all about finding hammered

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

... I know TD, all that other stuff is really annoying! :g42:
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

Tony Miller
Main Detector: CTX3030

Post by Tony Miller »

I started with an ACE250 with which I recovered more than 20 Hammered coins. I then moved "up2 to the E Trac which was a very steep learning curve but well worth it and I found some good bits with it. When I retired two years ago I bought the CTX and the lads I worked with bought me the 17 inch and 6 inch coils. I took out membership of the Minelab Forum where I learned much about this machine. Was it all worth it or should I have stuck to the ACE250 (I still have it). I am pleased with all my machines especially the CTX. Always remember all MD find metal but you have to walk over it first. Good luck on your decision. :g50:
FUBAR

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Thank you for all the helpful responses. Hopefully I am starting to understand the differences between detectors/coils/programmes etc. There is clearly much to learn.

My detector (X-Terra 30) has only 'all metal' and one discrimination pattern. It can only support the one coil that is standard (9inch 7.5hz concentric) so very basic by todays standards.

It is certainly no slouch in detecting targets but I am starting to understand its limitations when a good target is near iron or other junk.
It is consistent in the audible signals and mainly so in the conductivity segments. Sometimes however the numbers jump about all over the place.

I am continuing with my local history project, which relates to a tradition of the militia from Norman Cross Napoleonic prisoner of war depot, using a fen edge field for musketry practice.
It is a bit of a labour of love. A friend is putting the find spots on GPS so that they can be plotted. The finds liaison officer has been very helpful too. With over 200 .69 inch musket balls in the bag, I know what my detector readings for yet another are in my sleep. Whilst I am looking forward to completing this project, I have learned several practical lessons along the way. I have two very interesting buttons that I hope to put up on our 'identify my finds' section but first I need to get my pal to photograph them and show me how to put them up on here. All good fun of course.
Thanks again for all the responses and advice. Lots to think about.

dig-it-pete
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Well done Wigeon, sounds like you are getting along just fine to me :g50:

Looking forward to seeing those buttons :g58:
Minelab Manticore

Wigeon

Post by Wigeon »

Last week I 'bit the bullet', took a trip north up the A1 where I met an experienced detectorist and bought his hardly used E-trac with lots of extras. The seller is a real gent who has had to stop detecting owing to health issues.
I have done much reading and watching Utube videos. I have also done lots and lots of digging ! I have clearly set myself quite a task in learning this machine but enjoying every minute. I am having a problem with pinpointing and trying to perfect the 'wiggle' method. Part of the package deal included a Garret pin-pointer, which is proving very useful.
Looks like it will take me several months of regular use to understand all the features. Certainly making me scratch my head at present.

jcmaloney

Post by jcmaloney »

Pinpointing is easy.......... left to right over target, note where the tone is loudest. Turn 90 degrees do a left to right, same again where the tone is loudest...... that makes + thats where you dig. With the Minelab Pro-coil the "seet spot is about an inch or so in front of where the stem joins the coil.

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”