Farmers Guardian News

The place to find the latest news story . . .
you can make a comment if you wish!
PhilD
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Farmers Guardian News

Post by PhilD »

After one of the wettest autumn/winter periods in living memory, if they are not already, growers will soon be taking stock of which crops have made it through the winter and are fit enough to survive and what to do with all those acres that have nothing sown on them so far.

While it is tempting to get started with field operations as the days begin to lengthen and weather begins to improve in some areas, patience is important to avoid doing further damage to land. There is no fast fix.

There is some talk of fallowing land where winter crops have failed or it is so saturated that it may not dry sufficiently to sow spring crops in a timely manner.

Many oilseed rape crops are looking small and some have suffered cabbage stem flea beetle damage but it may not pay to give up on the crop too early, even if yields could prove lower than expected, as prices are currently firm, which may not prove to be the case for spring crop alternatives such as barley.

Concerns remain about the reduction in the UK oilseed rape crop area and if the decline continues next season, the impact this may have on the processing infrastructure. The NFU is warning that at least one oilseed rape crusher could potentially close.

The potato industry is currently facing challenges, with Scottish seed potato growers under fire concerning levels of viral infection in 2019 crops.

There is also increasing competition in potato markets with discount retailers keeping a lid on prices and European growers increasingly targeting the UK market.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Re: Farmers Guardian News

Post by lee greagsbey »

Thanks Phil, to say it's not a good situation is a understatement... :g51: :g48:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

Bad for the farmers pockets and the British food market.

Maybe more land to detect on if left fallow.
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

PhilD wrote:Bad for the farmers pockets and the British food market.

Maybe more land to detect on if left fallow.
True but its a bitter sweet situation, my land owners are like friends, so i dont like the thought of my gain being a stressful disaster for them... :g7:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

With the predicted forecast of hotter and wetter weather I think a lot of farmers will jack it in :g48:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

PhilD wrote:With the predicted forecast of hotter and wetter weather I think a lot of farmers will jack it in :g48:
Or diversify with different crops... i hear some are thinking about growing beans for baked beans and there's alot of people growing chickpeas on there small holdings now... hopefully they can grow substitute crops to diversity... :g43:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

Or i can see grants or schemes to turn over land to woodland.
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

PhilD

Post by PhilD »

:g58:

And wind turbines and solar panels.

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

PhilD wrote::g58:

And wind turbines and solar panels.
:g58:
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

PeteH
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: Minelab Equinox

Post by PeteH »

I think in the years to come a lot of marginal land will be planted with trees. It looks to be the way the government are pointing farmers to go.

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

Farmers should be paid to turn over a few acres back to wildflower meadows, to help re-establish our lost bird and insect populations :g58: :g50:
Minelab Manticore

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

dig-it-pete wrote:Farmers should be paid to turn over a few acres back to wildflower meadows, to help re-establish our lost bird and insect populations :g58: :g50:
You'll like this one Pete, it came via a Dutch friend i trained with (he's now a wild flower seed merchant.) When we finished training we spent 2 months together walking the mountain ranges in New Zealand collecting Alpine seeds to bring to Alan Robinson and the Alpine department.

"Farmers Return To Ancient Method: Fighting Pests By Planting Wildflowers Instead of Using Chemicals"

https://www.disclose.tv/farmers-return- ... als-381991
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

dig-it-pete
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

lee greagsbey wrote:
dig-it-pete wrote:Farmers should be paid to turn over a few acres back to wildflower meadows, to help re-establish our lost bird and insect populations :g58: :g50:
You'll like this one Pete, it came via a Dutch friend i trained with (he's now a wild flower seed merchant.) When we finished training we spent 2 months together walking the mountain ranges in New Zealand collecting Alpine seeds to bring to Alan Robinson and the Alpine department.

"Farmers Return To Ancient Method: Fighting Pests By Planting Wildflowers Instead of Using Chemicals"

https://www.disclose.tv/farmers-return- ... als-381991
Well I would like to think that our farmers will adopt that approach :g38: :g50:
Minelab Manticore

chasm_norwich
UKDN Supporter
Main Detector: Technics T2 SE

Post by chasm_norwich »

Tomorrow we will visit an empty field. It was planted but there is no rape at all left. It was eaten completely.

Return to “LATEST NEWS”