new to detecting and have lots of questions

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
bobtrotter1974
meble kuchenne warszawa

new to detecting and have lots of questions

Post by bobtrotter1974 »

Hi everyone
I am 44 and from Southampton I have always wanted to try detecting and the kids are growing up so I am looking at buying a minelab gofind 44 as a starter detector is that a good choice? I do not have lots of money to spend . I want to give the local beach a try to start me of but they say I need liability insurance ? what is the best place to look for that , and does anybody have any other tips for a total beginner
thank you

the-roman
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus II

Re: new to detecting and have lots of questions

Post by the-roman »

Hi Bob and welcome to UKDN.
I have never used a minelab gofind 44 so I really cannot make a comment about it. I can say that minelab metal detectors are good machines and have a good following.
as for insurance, everyone who metal detects is meant to have public liability insurance and there are two places to look at. you can either insure through FID which is the Federation of Independant Detectorists, you can find them here ... http://www.fid.org.uk
or you can get your insurance with NCMD which is the National Council for Metal Detecting. you can find them here ... https://www.ncmd.co.uk
you only need to be a member of one or the other as they are both recognised by everyone involved with metal detecting and the national farmers union. you must have a valid cover if you want to attend any local club digs or a national rally.
There are loads of tips for you, like don't forget a digging tool, drink, finds pouch, headphones, etc. Just ask away mate.
Happy hunting, Keith :g50:
XP Deus II - NCMD member.

JBM
UKDN Valued Member and UKDN Magazine Contributer
Main Detector: XP Deus.

Post by JBM »

I would not advise starting with a Gofind 44.
The money would be better spent on a guaranteed used machine from a reputable dealer.
We have a number of such dealers if you need some friendly help.
Happy Hunting,
Jerry.
WHRADA Member.
NCMD member WR.

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

They are aimed at the young my friend,
What is your maximum budget ?

In all honesty, you need to be in the 300 range for the start of the better metal detectors, anything lower and you will end up binning it off and buying a better one shortly after anyway .

The new minelab vanquish range of machines sounds like it’s up your street with wanting to do the beach

Taking advantage of the 0% credit on new machines from the main dealers is something to think about

Ncmd insurance is around £8 a year I believe
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

bobtrotter1974

Post by bobtrotter1974 »

thanks for all the advise, I now think on your advise I will be buying a used detector because my budget is £200 . I am still locked down as my wife is classed as vulnerable so it will not be for another month as I need to get back to normal and of course earn some ££££. I really am grateful for the help and if someone can recommend a dealer that sells good used machines that would be great

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

I'll would give detecnicks a call in West Sussex... :g50:

https://www.detecnicks.co.uk/2nd_hand_M ... ctors.html
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

Kev at Staffordshire detectors has forever been the man for quality used machines
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

Check out the nokta simplex , brand new at £299.
Many experienced detectorists have bought them and use them with great results.
Your not far away having £200, wait a bit longer and save up

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”