Detectorists against Green Waste Campaign!!

All discussions and threads relating to the "Green Waste" issue should be placed in here.
When the green waste issue has been resolved, this forum and the threads within it
will either be moved or deleted.
Donnydave
UKDN Valued Member and Diamond Supporter
meble kuchenne warszawa
Main Detector: XP Deus

Re: Detectorists against Green Waste Campaign!!

Post by Donnydave »

AXE HEAD wrote:Donny, I some times turn up for the N.E.W.S. digs Looks like I missed a bad one. hope the infection is not down to the dig, there is some awful bugs going around .
It looks like some of the flack we are firing is getting through, well done those who have had some success.
It only need the likes of David Bellamy to get involved and things could get done . What worries me as I have said in recent posts if it gets out that the metal detecting fraternity is rocking the boat then it could back fire on us if farmers were to lose money by our actions. What we Do not want to push is the fact that it is ruining our days out metal detecting.

We need to put over that we have noticed the tipping while in the field , and are worried about the
affect on the environment that has be mentioned in other posts.
I totally agree, the environment is more important than a hobby anyway, I am not sure about the farmers thoughts on this though, luckily where I detect it as not been used yet :g58:

PhilD
Main Detector: Makro Racer
Location: Saving North Yorks finds for future generations by recording with PAS

Post by PhilD »

If the farmers poison their land, they could put themselves out of business, so the more that are aware of the contaminated waste the better.
Click here to register with PAS
Makro Racer / ATPro Inter / T2 / Explorer II / Ace 250 / Garrett Pro Pinpointer / Etrex 10 GPS /Lumix TZ60/PAS Records - Click here

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Main Detector: Deus, CTX, Excalibur
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

Had a reply from Natural England today this is there view on green waste contamination.....

"Your enquiry regarding the application of green waste on agricultural land, possibly resulting in contamination, does not fall within Natural England’s remit. We recommend that you redirect your enquiry to DEFRA and the Environment Agency. If you have a specific incident to report, DEFRA will be able to address the appropriate application of green waste on agricultural land, and can be contacted on telephone number 08459 335577, or at defra.helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk, and the Environment Agency have an incident hotline number which allows members of the public to report possible acts of pollution. They can be contacted on 0800 807 060.

Natural England has limited enforcement powers with regards to wildlife (here is the enforcement page of the Natural England website: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwor ... fault.aspx) and are only able to get involved with suspected wildlife poisonings and license breaches: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwor ... fault.aspx.

I hope this is of use to someone, some day....??

Kind Regards,
Lee
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

lee greagsbey wrote:Had a reply from Natural England today this is there view on green waste contamination.....

"Your enquiry regarding the application of green waste on agricultural land, possibly resulting in contamination, does not fall within Natural England’s remit. We recommend that you redirect your enquiry to DEFRA and the Environment Agency. If you have a specific incident to report, DEFRA will be able to address the appropriate application of green waste on agricultural land, and can be contacted on telephone number 08459 335577, or at defra.helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk, and the Environment Agency have an incident hotline number which allows members of the public to report possible acts of pollution. They can be contacted on 0800 807 060.

Natural England has limited enforcement powers with regards to wildlife (here is the enforcement page of the Natural England website: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwor ... fault.aspx) and are only able to get involved with suspected wildlife poisonings and license breaches: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwor ... fault.aspx.

I hope this is of use to someone, some day....??

Kind Regards,
Lee
I am beginning to think they know about this problem :g58:

lee greagsbey
Site Admin
Location: A Surrey coddiwomple exiled into East Hampshire working back in Surrey

Post by lee greagsbey »

I reckon they do now Donny.... :g42:

I had a reply from the countryside alliance today, short and sweet....

"Thank you for your email, This has now been forwarded onto the relevant department."

We will wait and see..???

Regards,
Lee
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

“Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all ” Edward Teach
{P:

Steve Rice

Post by Steve Rice »

lee greagsbey wrote:I reckon they do now Donny.... :g42:

I had a reply from the countryside alliance today, short and sweet....

"Thank you for your email, This has now been forwarded onto the relevant department."

We will wait and see..???

Regards,
Lee
Nice one Lee and thanks for the other link :g62: :g50:
Creator of

http://www.englishcoindatabase.co.uk
(Help identify English Coins)

http://www.treasurehunting.tv
(UK and Worldwide Metal Detecting and Treasure Hunting News)

StuE
UKDN Diamond Supporter and UKDN Magazine Contributor
Main Detector: Deus

Post by StuE »

Reply from Sainsburys today:-
Dear Stuart

Thanks for your email and patience whilst we found out the relevant information about your enquiry.

This is something that Farm Assurance governs and is not something we would condone. All of our Development Group farms receive an independent annual carbon footprint assessment which covers and governs the spreading of manure, fertilizer and organic waste.

If you have any other concerns please don’t hesitate to get back in touch. You can call our free phone number on 0800 63 62 62 option 5 or simply reply to this email.

We appreciate you taking the time to contact us and look forward to seeing you in store again soon.

Kind regards

Andrew Kellock | Customer Manager

Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd | 33 Holborn, London | EC1N 2HT
customer.service@sainsburys.co.uk | 0800 636 262
twitter.com/sainsburys | facebook.com/sainsburys
Found any lead bag seals? Email a piccy to me for inclusion on The Bag Seal Gallery Ourpasthistory.com Image Gallery :: Lead Cloth & Bag Seals
Don't be a complete Banker, make a micro-loan - http://www.kiva.org/team/humanist

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

(Quote)If you have any other concerns please don’t hesitate to get back in touch.

:g43: I would have thought that was enough to be going on with :g58:

StuE

Post by StuE »

:g3: Yes quite right Dave - think I'll reply asking if their 'Farm Assurance' people have been given the heads up about contaminated green waste.
Found any lead bag seals? Email a piccy to me for inclusion on The Bag Seal Gallery Ourpasthistory.com Image Gallery :: Lead Cloth & Bag Seals
Don't be a complete Banker, make a micro-loan - http://www.kiva.org/team/humanist

Donnydave

Post by Donnydave »

Another correspondence from my MP Rosie :g58:
Rosie.jpg
Rosie.jpg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 21976 times
Defra-vert.jpg
Defra-vert.jpg (105.25 KiB) Viewed 21976 times

liz

Post by liz »

Time to bombard the Env. Agency then, with specific sites mentioned. :g50: Great reply that DD, my MP Alan Duncan hasn't even bothered to reply which is unusual.

StuE

Post by StuE »

The last para of the defra letter made me think we should be sending all incidents to them but apart from the question of not giving the land owners grief it also looks like it has to be phone contact:- "To report an environmental incident please call our incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60 (Freephone*, 24 hour service). You should not use e-mail to report an incident, as this could delay our response." I still think it would be worth sending any specific evidence to enquiries@environment-agency.gov.uk

allan75
UKDN Supporter

Post by allan75 »

:g6: done.

lee greagsbey
Site Admin

Post by lee greagsbey »

StuE wrote::g3: Yes quite right Dave - think I'll reply asking if their 'Farm Assurance' people have been given the heads up about contaminated green waste.
"This is something that Farm Assurance governs and is not something we would condone. All of our Development Group farms receive an independent annual carbon footprint assessment which covers and governs the spreading of manure, fertilizer and organic waste."

It would be nice to know what that means...???...Farm Assurance governs... :g43:...our Development Group farms.. :g43:
Independent annual carbon footprint assessment can we see this..??? What guidelines are they using...???

But all in all, well done StuE... :g50:

Regards,
Lee
XP Deus V5.2
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Garrett Pro Pointer
Makro Pointer
XP Mi-6 Pinpointer
NCMD

{P:

AXE HEAD
Main Detector: Makro Multi Kruzer

Post by AXE HEAD »

Great stuff Donny. As they say that you can only contact by phone I was going to suggest that everyone with a mobile camera phone take pictures of contamination and then get in touch, BUT then I had second thoughts.
As I have mentioned in earlier posts we don,t want this to turn round and kick us in the nuts. If it gets out that
the metal detecting fraternity Is behind farmers getting grief it could have just as bad an affect on our hobby
as the green waste problem its self.

Return to “"Green Waste" Issues”