Did not expect to be dithering over a spade

A place for the newcomer to find useful information thus
helping them to make a good start in the hobby. Beginners can ask questions
and get replies from more experienced members.
Toto
meble kuchenne warszawa

Did not expect to be dithering over a spade

Post by Toto »

Well, whilst I'm busy on the permission and historical research front, I have been amassing a few bits and Bob's of equipment.

Detector, carry case, a pick / hoe tool, waterproof poncho type garment, USB battery charger ( twin port ), in line spare battery, finds bag, pointer etc etc.

Now, given that I have managed to single out the detector to purchase ( nox 800 ), I cant believe that the item causing me so much heartache and deliberation is ...... a spade.

I have looked ..... and looked ...... oh .... and did I mention looked at what feels like every spade ( purpose made and everyday variety) and cannot commit. I know there is no such thing as " the best " single answer and I realise that I have to take the plunge based on the type of strata I'm intending on working and having done a bit of due diligence on the individual product and any available reviews.

I am the same as everyone else in that I want the strongest, lightest, best value model available capable of working all terrains and it does not exist.

So ..... I am looking to swing towards an expensive option which should handle most eventualities .... the evolution pro .... handle type to be decided. My only gripe ( apart from price ) is that I would prefer a shorter shaft to enable fastening horizontally across a back pack easier. If I need to drag it behind me then the D handle may be best.

I'm in no immediate rush and suspect this dilemma may continue to drag on a bit yet until I finally make my mind up.

Meanwhile ..... the hunt for permissions and the historical research continues.

Oh the joy

Toto
Equinox 800 and a big cup of coffee

popsandme
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Finds Advisor - UKDN Supporter - Diamond
Main Detector: Nox 800

Re: Did not expect to be dithering over a spade

Post by popsandme »

I have a Black ADA that cost £50 and can recommend their durability, though mine is a long shaft type you would have see if they do them shorter.

https://www.blackada.com/
Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough.

Self recording on the PAS database..... Click Here
2022 Hammered = 5

kev woodward
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus 1

Post by kev woodward »

I have used the same ex-MOD shovel for the last 31 years on all sorts of soil/clay and it just keeps going. Shaft isn't to long for what you are asking for too. They aren't very expensive either Click Here for some examples :g50:
I have become comfortably numb

bodvoc
Consortium Member
Consortium Member

Post by bodvoc »

Well I use a mini digger from Regton. It’s very lightweight but strong and can be easily carried all day. Had one for years.
Relatively cheap too, so if you want to buy something else later on, you haven’t broken the bank.
Professionally aimless wandering.

seDEUSed

the-roman
Site Admin
Main Detector: XP Deus II

Post by the-roman »

I have also been thinking about a new spade. I have been using mine for over 30 years and replaced the soft grip handle once, so not bad going. I have found one exactly the same on a well known site for £14.99 it's a Hilka Pro Garden Border Spade - Ergonomic PYD Handle and all I did was trim the head down into what suited me. so I don't know if it's quite what your looking for but it's one that I will probably go for and that's only because it has served me well over the years :g50:
XP Deus II - NCMD member.

ageezer
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
UKDN Supporter - Bronze
Main Detector: deus /nokta pointer

Post by ageezer »

theres no east answer as requirments vary for each season ,,i found a hoe head on a long handle suits me mostly ..no bending down

Toto

Post by Toto »

Thanks guys.

The responses are representative of the actual a swerve. Horses for courses and personal opinion.

You are either happy with what you have or not. Good to have the recommendations though.

I think that rather than starting at the expensive end of the market, I will start cheap and do a bit trial and error.

First attempt will e a mini spade, rounded blade, finre glass shaft and short length. I'll see if this ties in with my expectation of carrying it on a back pack or ..... if it's out for use every two minutes, dragging it along behind me. It will also give me an idea of weight and the durability of these cheaper spades. Price is not always a fair indicator of quality / value.

If I get a year out of one with fair use, then its paid for itself if I only spend £15.00. If I end up having to replace it earlier through breaking or finding out through use that the mini spade is not fit for purpose ( or posture ), then I'll splash out £50.00 to £80.00 for one of the higher spec versions.

I think that sounds like a plan. I'll spend my sacrificial £15.00 and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Toto

dig-it-pete
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Finds Advisor & Moderator
Main Detector: Manticore

Post by dig-it-pete »

I have used a Spear & Jackson stainless steel border spade now for 6 years!! I got my local blacksmith to cut the shape out of the standard square blade and also weld a foot plate on the top to save my boots. Think I paid £15 on eBay back then but probably gone up a bit since then? I have found it absolutely brilliant and must have dug tens of thousands of holes with it in the past 6 years.

I bought one for my detecting mate Gordon too - you can see the before and after shaping shots here....
Attachments
Spear & Jackson stainless steel border spades - 640 x 480 pxls copy.jpg
Spear & Jackson stainless steel border spades - 640 x 480 pxls copy.jpg (300.54 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Spear & Jackson stainless steel border spades - 640 x 480 pxls - close up.jpg
Spear & Jackson stainless steel border spades - 640 x 480 pxls - close up.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Minelab Manticore

Toto

Post by Toto »

A thing of beauty. :g50:

Ghost
UKDN Valued Member

Post by Ghost »

Right, take this as gospel …

Buy a black Ada stainless steel Spartan .

That’s it, job done, never need to think about a spade ever again .

It’s quite weighty to hold but you drag it behind you anyway . :g50:
If u believe.,look 2 the dawn and u will know that i'm watching and waiting for the time when we'll always b together...There can be only one..IXOYE

Toto

Post by Toto »

Now ........ that's the kind of response I like ..... commitment ...... almost fighting talk.

Thanks ghost. :g38:

Toto

Return to “BEGINNERS' SECTION”